What fun! Another independent bottler! This time via friends from Italy – Davide Romano and Fabio Ermoli – who founded Valinch & Mallet in 2015. I was tipped off that these guys were a “must-visit” at Paris Whisky Live 2022‘s VIP section… and while I only sampled two whiskies would certainly take more time to explore more the next opportunity!
I asked Fabio for guidance – something classic and unpeated…. he immediately knew to direct my attention to the Linkwood and Knockdu / anCnoc. What did I find with a light sniff and swish?
Linkwood 11 year (2010/2022) Sherry Cask #134 53.4% (Valinch + Mallet) 550 Bottles
- Colour – Glowing amber
- Nose – Remarkably heavy nose, wood
- Palate – Burst of flowers, then juicy fruits, heavy and spicy hot
- Finish – Sweet and sustained
This was no light, sprightly stroll in the park, it was a full-flavoured fruity, floral frolic in a hot summer garden. Nothing shy or subdued, just sheer summery exuberance bursting from the glass.
Knockdhu 9 year (2012/2022) 52.6% Bourbon Hogshead Cask #71537 (Valinch + Mallet) 376 Bottles
- Colour – Light gold
- Nose – Very fruit-forward, light, honey sweet
- Palate – Fruity and fab! Balanced
- Finish – Lovely and lingering
While young, it was fruity and joyful, a great reminder of how much I have enjoyed anCnoc whiskies over the years.
I enjoyed my wee sample and think it is well worth keeping an eye on these folks!
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN