The minis are back!! And even better – this is no solo session but instead reunited with my regular minis tasting companion – the only difference is that we met in London rather than Mumbai…
I must admit, seeing a Glenburgie in the list was part of why this tasting set made the cut! I’m quite open about being partial towards this distillery since my first encounter where I dubbed it the “Downtown Abbey” of drams. I’ve had many a lovely whisky from them – tending to find elegant, fruity summery sipping malts – sunshine in a bottle.
So what did we discover in this one?
Glenburgie 8 year 55.2%, Batch 5 with 1,891 bottles. GBP 33.95.
- Nose – Peaches and cream, sunshine and summer breeze, peach pit, caramel, light pecan… after some time sweet cream, lemon curd or rasagola, a touch of floral
- Palate – Peach cobler, flat white peach, toffee, peach eau de vivre, light spice
- Finish – Light spice, almond slivers, hint of thyme, slightly bitter
Joyful summer dram… and yes various versions of peach featured quite prominently in our impression… we simply couldn’t help ourselves as it was the best way to explain various summery elements that we encountered.
My friend is often amused at my sometimes prosaic descriptions and so came up with this: “This whisky is like a girl in a field with flowers in her hair and a smile on her face.”
Fanciful? Yes… but enjoyable all the same!
What do the folks over at Master of Malt have to say?
A big hello to the fifth batch of Glenburgie single malt bottled by That Boutique-y Whisky Company! This one is 8 years old, and the label still features a forgetful giant searching for his giant’s helmet. Probably needs it to protect his noggin because he keeps bashing it on door frames. Because he is very tall. Because he is a giant.
Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt
- Nose: Melon and strawberry, with a hint of vanilla-y grist underneath.
- Palate: Slightly peppery as it opens, but soon enough you’re treated to notes of orange flesh, green apple, buttered bread and fresh flowers.
- Finish: Lasting fruit sweetness and a hint of thyme.
Here’s what is in the That Boutique-y Whisky Company Chinese New Year Tasting Set:
- Teaninich 11 year 47.9%, Batch 2
- Glenburgie 8 year 55.2%, Batch 5
- Speyside #3 8 year 50.7%, Batch 1
- Linkwood 10 year 48.2%, Batch 7
- Auchroisk 12 year 47.9%, Batch 7
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on: