When our sampling clubs began their respective quests to explore the world of whiskies, the default was Scottish single malt. However both as our determination to track down something ‘unique’ has increased, we’ve expanded our horizons well beyond single malts!
The humble grain, outside of North American, was typically found only as part of blended whiskies, yet is starting to garner attention as a category of its own.
Hence I thought it time to add a new section – focused exclusively on grain whiskies.
Most American and Canadian whiskies are grain whiskies. Sometimes, aged grain whiskies are released as single grain whisky if made at one distillery or blended grain whisky if combining spirits from multiple distilleries.
According to our friends over at Malt Madness, today in Scotland, there are only 6 full fledged grain distilleries:
- Cameronbridge – the oldest & largest grain whisky distillery now best known for Haig
- Girvan – a grain distillery built in 1963 by W. Grant & Sons that has recently released a few age statements
- Invergordon from Whyte & Mackay can primarily be found only in Independent bottles
- North British the second largest Scotch grain distillery
- Starlaw – opened in 2010 and owned by La Martiniquaise
- Strathclyde – owned by the Pernod Ricard conglomerate with a few independent bottles out there
So join us as we explore grain whiskies… in all their variation!
Austria – Waldviertler J.H. 6 year Rye Malt 41%
- Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye 45% + Speed Tasting
- Gooderham & Worts Four Grains Canadian Whisky 44.4%
- Sheringham William’s White double distilled grain whisky 2015 Batch 1308 45%
- Greenore Single Grain 18 years 46%
- Hyde Single Grain Burgandy Finish 46%
- Teeling Single Grain Wine Cask 46%
- Haig Club 40% (Cameron Bridge Distillery)
- Invergordon Single Grain 28 year DL 11004 56.5% Douglas Laing’s Old Particular
- R+B Distillers – Borders Single Grain 51.7%
- Cambus Single Grain 24 year (1991/2015) Cask 55891 51.9% (Signatory Vintage)
- Girvan Single Grain 8 years (2006/2014) Cask 532398 46% Berrys’
- Girvan Patent Still Grain 28 years 42%
- Strathclyde Single Grain 25 year (1990/2016) DL11335 51.1% Douglas Laing’s Old Particular
- Compass Box – Hedonism 43% + Whisky Ladies 2017 revisit
- The Exceptional Blended Grain Scotch Whisky 43%
South Africa – Bain’s Single Grain 43%*
- A.D. Laws Four Grain Straight Bourbon (Batch 8) 47.5%
- AD Laws Hordeum Straight Malt 2 year (Batch #1B) 42.5%
- AD Laws Triticum Straight Wheat 2 year (Batch #1B) 50%
- AD Laws Secale Rye 2 year* WL
- Cascadia Rye (Portugues Port Barrels) 43.5%
- Cody Road 100% Rye 40%
- High West Whiskey Double Rye 46%
- Pikesville 110 Proof Straight Rye 55%
- Rough Rider ‘Bull Moose’ Three Barrel Rye 45%
Interested in more? Check out:
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: