At our Whisky Ladies Compass Box evening shifted gears completely… Having just sampled Spice Tree Extravaganza and the lightly peaty Great King Street Experimental Batch, we realized before launching into the decidedly peaty Flaming Heart and Peat Monster, it might be a good idea to recalibrate our palates with the unique Hedonism.
- Nose – Exquisite! Subtle, nuanced, fresh oranges, exceedingly fresh and fragrant
- Palate – Piña colada with that mix of coconut cream and pineapple, sweet light spice, silky smooth, vanilla custard
- Finish – Starts with a great finish then “Oh you are gone, but was nice while it lasted!”
There was an immediate flashback to the Nikka Coffey Grain with its coconut, pinneapple, yet obviously a much more nuanced variant… for some it was absolutely delicious and for others, just not their style. Which seems to be the case with grain whiskies.
It was a complete departure from the earlier drams and an excellent example of the range of unique blends Compass Box produces.
Here’s what the folks at Compass Box have to say:
The inspiration behind our whisky HEDONISM is just that – pleasure, enjoyment, a celebration of that ideal marriage between distilled spirit and high quality oak maturation. The aromas and flavours hint of vanilla, caramel, a delicate fruitiness, accented by flashes of coconut in the finish. This is a whisky that will appeal to both the ardent whisky enthusiast and newcomers to whisky alike.
Our Compass Box evening included:
- Spice Tree Extravaganza Special Edition 46%
- Great King Street Experimental Batch 43%
- Flaming Heart 15th Anniversary Edition 48.9%
- Box Peat Monster 46%
This whisky was purchased by one of our Whisky Ladies and sampled from an open, nearly full bottle in July 2017.
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: