From Rugen Distillery, who have been brewing beer on Rugen Mountain since 1892… they ventured into making whisky when the Swiss laws changed in 1999. Their 1st offering was “Mountain Highland” in 2003 and now regularly produce small batches, aged a minimum of three years in oak casks. The wort and distillation all take place on their distillery premises.
This particular whisky is originally named Forty Three for its alcohol content – 43%. We sampled it as part of a European Explorations evening, just after a rather delicious Duetsch dram from DeCavo.
So what did we think of the Swiss Highland?
Forty Three Swiss Highland Single Malt Whisky 43%
- Nose – Initially quite dry, some sawdust, light balsa, sweet honey, bay leaf, a bit of a shy nose, salt sheen, restrained, hint of vanilla, cream
- Palate – Soft – surprisingly soft, well rounded, hay, malty like marmite at the back, really grows on you, tasty
- Finish – Quite long, warm… actually make that remarkably incredibly long
We had anticipated this would be a bit raw and harsh, to discover quite the opposite! It was again far more accessible and enjoyable than we had anticipated.
Here is what they have to say on the label:
- Colour – Deep golden amber
- Body – Soft texture, lightly creamy
- Nose – The fresh and fiery notes are surrounded by subtle honey and some floral aromas topped off with lovely vanilla notes
- Palate – Slightly woody notes are combined with coffee and chocolate leading to a light smoothness. A slight maltiness is felt at the beginning, which then rises beautifully in caramel and fermented vanilla bean.
- The fine balance between sweetness and strength give a special tension to the product, the soft creamy mouth feel creates an exclusive sustainability.
I purchased this bottle at Wien Laden in Munich in November 2017.
My European Explorations with the Bombay Malt & Cigar gents included:
- France – Eddu Silver Buckwheat Whiskey 40%
- France – Domaine Des Hautes Glace Organic Single Malt 42%
- Belgium – Gouden Carolus 3 years 46% – Bonus from our host!
- Germany – DeCavo NAS Batch 10, Cask 92 46%
- Italy – Puni Nova Bourbon Cask, Batch #2 (2015) 43%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: