Another marvellous malty month! Where all three tasting groups met… and I unforgivably missed one! However made up with more whisky adventures.
So what all mischief did we get up to in April?
The absolute highlight was a once in a lifetime opportunity to try a 64 year old whisky!
Our Bombay Malt & Cigar group explore Lost Distilleries Trio from the Classic range:
- Towiemore 43% – The evening favourite – think apple crumble meets malt!
- Gerston 43% – Seaside brine, bitter sweet, peat and spice
- Stratheden 43% – Humid, citrus, chocolate… long finish
Whereas our Whisky Ladies Islay Adventures
- Lagavulin 16 year 43% – A classic, familiar friend!
- Finlaggan Old Reserve 40% – Fruity, peaty and goes down deceptively well…
- The Ileach Cask Strength 58% – A delicious peat, lightly salty, meetha with loads going on!
- Finlaggan 58% – Don’t EVER leave it to oxidate for more than a year!! Shameful waste of a good dram…
- Laphroaig Brodir Port Wood Finish 48% – Port and peat make a lip smacking combination!
Plus a few interesting evenings:
- Samantha Peter, IBHL – Speyburn 10 year 43%, Balblair 05 46%, Old Pultney 12 year 40%
- Random Whisky Tasting at KODE, Mumbai
Plus a set of no less than seven Gin gin gins!
The balance of the month’s posts were all catching up on earlier tasting sessions…
Our Bombay Malt & Cigar gents explored whiskies from Japan:
- Hibiki Japanese Harmony “Master’s Select” NAS 43% – A happy “starter” whisky
- Nikka All Malt 40% – What a fabulous malt! Dessert in a glass.
- Miyagikyo NAS 45% – Has a light elegance, with kumquat and white pepper
- Hakushu “Distiller’s Reserve” NAS 43% – Forest green and light peat….
Our original club’s revisited:
- Johnnie Walker Green Label 15 year 43% – A perfect “gateway” dram to single malts…
- Kavalan Solist Sherry S090608029A 58.6% – Normally this sherry bomb is brilliant – not so this cask. Avoid.
- Kilchoman Machir Bay Cask Strength 60% – Sweet, peat with a bit of bacon sizzling on a pan!
And the last fleeting impression from Whisky Live Singapore 2017:
Curious to know more? Check out recent Whisky Lady’s monthly missives:
You can also find even more Whisky bits ‘n bobs on:
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN