Whisky Live Singapore 2016 featured many a fine dram! Plus discovering new experiments in the world of whisky.
The Lost Distillery Company set out to create “modern interpretations of lost whisky legends.” My 1st sampling set began with the lightest style profile from the “Classic Range” with Auchnagie, Towiemore then Stratheden, gradually gaining momentum towards more robust profiles.
Jericho Distillery (1824-1913) Classic 43%
- Nose – Sherry bomb! All those Christmas plum cake elements with an overlay of sweet perfume
- Palate – Full sherry, lots of rum raisins
- Finish – Dry sherry
Gerston Distillery (1796-1882 & 1886-1914) Classic 43%
- Nose – Briny spice, maritime character, windswept freshness
- Palate – Toffee, rum caramel, edge of peat
- Finish – Carries on with smokey elements
I don’t know why, but this whisky reminded me of Kolkata – India’s early British colonial capital. It was a nice surprise… Do also check out the Whisky Lassie review.
Lossit Distillery (1817-1867) Classic 43%
- Nose – Lots of smokey peat, salt more than sweet peat, softer bacon, pear drop
- Palate – A contrast with a softer more delicate creamy profile, hint of pepper
- Finish – Mellowed out completely
What a contrast – quite pronounced peat on the nose, yet was much more soft and creamy on the palate then a mild finish…
- Nose – Soft fruits and spice with a slightly tart citrus twist
- Palate – Then rich, sweet, round full body… in short, delicious!
I sampled seven Lost Distillery whiskies, all ‘speed dating‘ sampling rather than a ‘proper’ sessions, however still gave a sense of quite distinctive styles. Enough to conclude these folks are certainly expanding the horizons of what is possible. The passion and enthusiasm of the team was palpable and I was delighted to have a chance of making their passing acquaintance and wish them well!
- Auchnagie Distillery (1812-1911) Classic 43% & Archivist 46%
- Stratheden Distillery (1829-1926) Classic 43%
- Towiemore Distillery (1898-1931) Classic 43%
- Jericho Distillery (1824-1913) Classic 43%
- Gerston Distillery (1796-1882 & 1886-1914) Classic 43%
- Lossit Distillery (1817-1867) Classic 43%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: