“The lady would like a single malt!”
I’m a Canadian lass who was based in Mumbai, India exploring whiskies of the world along with my friends for many years.
In 2011, we went from ad hoc informal tastings here and there to forming a private group that met monthly. Along the way I became the ‘scribe’ and started publishing tasting notes on my blog “Everyday Asia.” However these whisky sessions were just the beginning and this blog was born as it grew into a passion worthy of its own home.
This was followed in 2016 by a 3rd club affectionately known as the “BMC” aka the Bombay Malt & Cigar club as our amusing take on the Bombay Municipal Corporation.
After some 20 years in India, late 2019 I made a huge move for work to Nuremberg, Germany leaving behind three remarkable tasting groups. We all know how our world has changed since early 2020… what was the impact on our three Mumbai whisky tasting groups?
- Alas our original club sessions ceased without physical meetings, though one member continues to explore and post very knowledgable insights on Whisky Flu
- As for the Bombay Malt & Cigar gents? Somehow we have sustained connects… despite being scattered from London to Brussels to Nurnberg to Mumbai. We may not meet frequently or even all of us in person, but meet we do over a malt or two or three even if it means hand delivering samples in Berlin or convincing a distillery to ship to Europe whilst others enjoy in India!
- For the Whisky Ladies of Mumbai, September 2019 was time to pass the baton to a few fabulous women who now capture tasting notes on a new blog: Whisky Ladies of Mumbai! With great creativity the ladies found ways to share virtually and cautiously in small physical gatherings whisky acquisitions from very select travels.. so much so that 2022 is already back to a regular monthly rhythm with 6 months of tastings already planned!
As for me in Europe?
I had high hopes of finally easily making my way to various whisky festivals, exploring distilleries, forging new friendships though a shared curiosity about the world of whiskies. However clearly very little of that happened.
However as one Whisky Lady from Mumbai moved to Paris, we decided to create our own wee Euro “off-shoot” and I invited a 3rd based in London who then also moved (back) to Paris. And with that, an Insta was also created to record some of our explorations!
This blog continues and I invite you to start exploring with:
- Complete listing of whiskies by country/region or sub-sets like:
- Tasting sessions which includes a monthly whisky round-up
Hope you enjoy!