In the grand scheme of things, trying 30 whiskies is no big deal.
Let’s face it, exploring the world of whiskies behind a crazy custom’s “curtain” that restricts access not just bringing into India but state by state… means relying on individuals making an effort to source directly from far-flung lands rather than simply strolling over to a corner liquor store.
Hence it is indeed a celebration – with thanks – to share a summary of European samples! Now… just providing a list alone isn’t fun.. so with each, I’ve shared a fleeting impression so you can see what might peak your interest to read more…
- Czech – Hammer Head 23 year 40.7% – Historic novelty though not a great dram
- Armorik Classic 46% – Sweet currents, cereals, simple, spicy
- AWA Pinot Noire 42% – Playful fruity fun and likeable
- Brenne Estate Cask 40% – Delightful, appetizer or desert whisky
- Guillon Banyuls 43% – Perfume, whisky or…?
- Kornog Taourac’h Trived 10 BC 46% (2010) – Perfect gentleman to rogue – marvellous!
- Kornog Taouarc’h Pempved 14 BC 46% (2014) – Sigh… a disappointment
- Kornog (2013) 58.7% (Auld Alliance) – What began my affair with Kornog – distinctly different and made me want to explore more!
- Germany – Slyrs 51 NAS 51% – A bit forceful and literal yet relaxes with water
- Iceland – Floki Young Malt 47% – A bit raw almost malt… let’s see what next
- Norway – Audny 4 year, Series 3 46% – Quite herbaceous… nose had promise, the balance… err… not for us!
- Box Whisky The Festival 2015 54.5% – Understated, asks you to sit, sip and savour
- Box Whisky Shareholders 2016 3 year 52% – Lots of ripe fruits, smoky spice with a dry finish
- Mackmyra 3 Year Bachair Private Cask – Smoke pine, sweet grass, smooth then opened into wildfire, quite distinctive
- Mackmyra 8 Year Dram Good Whisky – More subtle that the 1st drop, juniper, mineral and herbal
- Mackmyra 3 Year Preludium 01 De Första Dropparna 55.6% – What a unique insight into an early Mackmyra
- Mackmyra Svensk Rok 46.1% – Minimalist, juniper, woodsy, light smoke – think ski lodge by a warm fireplace
- Mackmyra Vinterdröm 46.1% – Sweet, spice, sharp with Caribbean twist
- Smögen Single Cask 7/2011 4 year old 57.3% – Sweet caramel, nutty marzipan, smoked oak… Want more!
- Smögen Sherry Project 1:4 57.2% – Sooooo sweet on the nose, bitter on the palate with a dancing spice finish
- Spirit of Hven Tycho’s Star 41.8% – Hickory bacon, rich dark fruit, walnuts – yum!
- Switzerland – Langatun Old Bear (2010) Smoky 62.8%* (coming soon!)
Many of the Nordic whiskies came compliments of
The Europe page is continuously updated as we explore more whiskies, so feel free to check back anytime to read of more!
PS – Anyone spot the ‘malted spirit’ rather than proper whisky??
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: