It is terrific to discover something new! And that is just what happened at the London Whisky Show with this distillery from Finland – Kyrö.
There is a quirky humourous approach… with the visual of a bunch of men running buck naked (from a sauna) across a field…. as they shared:
It all started with five friends in a sauna, pondering why nobody in Finland was making rye whisky. We had no idea how to make whisky the “right” way, so we did it our way – and Kyrö Malt is where the story of Kyrö Distillery Company began.
Two co-owners were there in London with their enthusiasm infectious! We couldn’t help enjoying both the whiskies and the experience.
Kyrö Malt Rye 47.2%
- Nose – Young, fresh, herbal with some menthol
- Palate – Softly sweet, licorice, rye bread
- Finish – Clean pine
I really quite liked this Rye… it had a clean fresh style that was quite appealing
What more do they have to say?
Made with 100% malted Finnish rye, Kyrö Malt is a whisky that proudly breaks the mould. It is double pot distilled and aged in a combination of new American oak and ex-bourbon casks, resulting in intense pepperiness, balanced with sweet notes of caramel and vanilla.
It’s perfect sipped as it is, in a whisky sour – or any way you like.
- Nose: Pepper, Vanilla, Caramel, Dried fruits
- Palate: Sweet rye bread, Honey, Wild berries, Smooth finish with caramel and mocha
I read the description and notes much later, but from my memory and tasting scribbles, it rang true!
Kyrö Wood Smoke Rye 47.2%
- Nose – Sauna wood smoked, sweet grass
- Palate – Like a log cabin, cedar plank used to cook fish
- Finish – Out of nowhere, big and bold!
OK, maybe I was influenced by all the sauna talk… but it really did remind me of a sauna!
What more do they have to say?
With Kyrö Wood Smoke we honour the oldest kind of Finnish sauna – the smoke sauna.
Using an ancient northern tradition, the rye used in Kyrö Wood Smoke has been introduced to alder smoke in a 100-year old “riihi” barn.
Double pot distilled, Kyrö Wood Smoke is then aged in a combination of French oak, new American oak and ex-bourbon casks, resulting in intense pepperiness and sweet notes of caramel and vanilla, lifted by crisp alder smoke.
How incredibly unique!
Kyrö Rye Whisky + Monbazillac Cask “Kyrö’s Choice” 53%
- Nose – Very different! Almost reminded me a bit of mescal, sweet wood, caraway, and rye
- Palate – Very big, distinctive, acidic, apples, oats
What more do we know? The co-founder shared it was made, like the others with Finnish malted rye in new oak then a twist with an ex-Monbazillac cask.
Both the Malt & Wood Smoke whiskies retail for around EUR 50 for 500 ml bottles, whereas the special 2022 London Whisky Show Kyrö’s Choice is currently only available through The Whisky Exchange for GBP 65.
If you are curious about other Finland whiskies I’ve sampled, check out the following:
- Helsinki Distilling 6 year Rye (2022) Batch 2 58.9% (TBWC)
- Kyrö 4 year Rye (2022) Batch 1 53.1% (TBWC)
- Teerenpeli 10 year 43% – My favorite Teerenpeli!
- Teerenpeli Kaski 43% + 2020 Revisit
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN