The minis can’t have all the fun in virtual tastings! It was time to also crack open one of the big boys! And that is exactly what happened one fine eve with the Bombay Malt &Cigar gentlemen. What did they have? It was a revisit of standard bar fare with Bowmore 12 year, Caol Ila 12 year with a Mortlach thrown in for good measure.
As for me? I let them decide… and here is what they picked!
Inchgower 11 year (July 2007 / Mar 2019) Refill Hogshead 52.5% (North Star 008)
- Nose – It started with light peat, caramel and spice, leaves
- Palate – First sip was bursting with lots of pepper, spice and fire… then it opened up to reveal treacle and maple syrup
- Finish – The finish was like chomping down on a cigar with a leather chaser
Something about this one clearly called for some water… and no careful 2-3 drops but a generous dollop. What did this do? Transformed the Inchgower!
- Nose – That caramel cola quality came through even more, sponge cake
- Palate – Lots of cinnamon spice…. a bit of kumquat
- Finish – Retained the sweet spice
This was no easy drinking dram but one that demanded attention… an unruly beast…
What else do we know? It was matured in a refill hogshead which produced 321 bottles. With shipping and tax, it came to approx GBP 60.
- Nose – Kola Cubes & pancakes with maple syrup
- Palate – White pepper & caramel shavings
- Finish – Tobacco (Montecristo not Marlboro)
Prior to this, my only brushes with Inchgower were 13 year olds bottled by G&MP from their Connoiseurs Choice range – one at cask strength and the other not.
Don’t want to miss any posts? Why not follow Whisky Lady on: