Last year, the gentlemen from the Bombay Malt & Cigar club took it upon themselves to treat the Whisky Ladies of Mumbai to an evening of Irish whiskies and cigars.
This year, it was our turn to return the favour.
We debated a range of different approaches and finally decided on a theme of “Ladies Choice.” And what pray tell did that mean to us?
We wanted to share with the gentlemen some of the most memorable whiskies we sampled together as a tasting group. They may not be the world’s best whiskies but they would be our “Choice” – ones that stood out in some kind of way.
We went about it in a democratic manner and voted, tallied up the responses to create a “short-list”, then began the efforts to source these whiskies.
Our approach was a bit flexible, in some cases we knew it would be impossible to source the EXACT same whisky. What worked was finding something from the same distillery or similar category.
The whiskies were literally sourced from around the world involving travel, friends of friends and even last minute acquisitions…
What made it into our final “Ladies Choice” list?
Japan – Akashi Red Blended Whisky 40%
- In truth we had several Japanese whiskies in mind however the Akashi was accessible and a refreshing departure from the expensive exclusive impossible to find Japanese single malts, so figured why not!
- It also made for a perfect ‘appetizer’ whisky to get the evening going…
Sweden – Mackmyra Vinterdröm 46.1%
- The most enjoyable peaty Mackmyra Svensk Rok 46.1% captured our attention with its clean, minimalist yet smoky qualities.
- So when our Swedish whisky lady went on the hunt over Christmas for something distinctly different from the distillery, this limited edition “Caribbean love affair” avatar was her pick!
India – Paul John Single Cask #1844 60.5%
- The Paul John Select Cask Peated Batch 1 “OMG bacon!” made many Whisky Ladies swoon for more during our Paul John evening… we definitely wanted to include a Goan single malt, preferably a Select Cask or Single Cask…
- Thankfully Michael from Paul John distilleries was able to oblige our interest – literally hand delivering this single cask a mere two days before our evening!
France – Kornog Taouarc’h Pempved 14 BC 46%
- Kornog’s whisky from Bretagne will forever be known in our group for the comment “How did you go from being a perfect gentlemen to getting my bra off like that?” (WL on Kornog Taourac’h Trived 10 BC 46%)
- Alas the Trived 10 BC was no longer available so we took a gamble on the newer Pempved 14 BC…
Taiwan – Kavalan Solist Sherry Cask S090102020 57.1%
- There was no doubt a Kavalan was going to make the cut…
- By a very wide margin, the Solist Sherry Cask topped the charts with the most votes from all our Whisky Ladies tasting experiences. So… it simply HAD to be our ‘showstopper’ of the evening!
Somehow not one Scottish whisky made it into the list. Not a single one. It wasn’t deliberate. It was simply how the votes panned out.
But that says something about how the whisky world is going…
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: