Our Whisky Ladies of Mumbai are no strangers to Nikka Whisky – or this particular dram From the Barrel. Our last tryst was in 2017 when we tasted From the Barrel side by side with Super Nikka.
However our evening exploring “Asian Delights” veered towards gentle uncomplicated whiskies which demanded a close with something having a bit more “Oomph!”
So out popped this beauty to round out our evening… here is what we thought…
Nikka From the Barrel 54.1%
- Nose – Initially a bit musty, overripe fruit, had a spice kick, needed time to settle down… cloves, sweet vanilla, rum raisins, baked fruit – particularly apple and pear, increasingly fruity as it opened up more, then revealed some flowers, even a bit of talcum powder
- Palate – Fruity, spice, bold, malty, yet missing something
- Finish – Lingers
- Water – Do add! Enhances the character, rounds it, lots of body, wood came forward on the palate, completes this whisky… out comes some marvellous marshmallows, very tasty on the palate even with a chasing dash of cinnamon sweetness
Overall most preferred it with water – enjoying how it brought a more accessible, enjoyable, balanced dram.
What is nice about such a compact 500 ml bottle is that we have enough left over to enjoy a dram or two but not much more. As the last few drops came home with me, it might just be time to enjoy a wee nip!
What the Nikka folks have to say:
From The Barrel is an extremely complex blended whisky bottled at 51.4% ABV. In order to deliver its richness and full flavors, the blended liquid goes into used barrels for another few months for “marriage” before it is bottled.
We enjoyed a few other whiskies in our Asian Delights evening:
- Akashi White Oak Single Malt 40%
- Nikka Coffey Malt 45%
- Kavalan Classic 40%
- Nikka From the Barrel 51.4% – Earlier tasting
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN