However our evening exploring “Asian Delights” veered towards gentle uncomplicated whiskies which demanded a close with something having a bit more “Oomph!”
So out popped this beauty to round out our evening… here is what we thought…
Nikka From the Barrel 54.1%
- Nose – Initially a bit musty, overripe fruit, had a spice kick, needed time to settle down… cloves, sweet vanilla, rum raisins, baked fruit – particularly apple and pear, increasingly fruity as it opened up more, then revealed some flowers, even a bit of talcum powder
- Palate – Fruity, spice, bold, malty, yet missing something
- Finish – Lingers
- Water – Do add! Enhances the character, rounds it, lots of body, wood came forward on the palate, completes this whisky… out comes some marvellous marshmallows, very tasty on the palate even with a chasing dash of cinnamon sweetness
Overall most preferred it with water – enjoying how it brought a more accessible, enjoyable, balanced dram.
What is nice about such a compact 500 ml bottle is that we have enough left over to enjoy a dram or two but not much more. As the last few drops came home with me, it might just be time to enjoy a wee nip!
What the Nikka folks have to say:
From The Barrel is an extremely complex blended whisky bottled at 51.4% ABV. In order to deliver its richness and full flavors, the blended liquid goes into used barrels for another few months for “marriage” before it is bottled.
We enjoyed a few other whiskies in our Asian Delights evening:
- Akashi White Oak Single Malt 40%
- Nikka Coffey Malt 45%
- Kavalan Classic 40%
- Nikka From the Barrel 51.4% – Earlier tasting
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: