What a year!
- I was ‘rescued’ by a friend and offered an opportunity to write about whisky for Mans World
- Which lead to further interviews with Master Distillers (most posts to come!)
- Launched a new monthly whisky tasting group in Mumbai – exclusively for ladies!
- By September, celebrated 100 posts with a list of 100 whiskies sampled!!
2015 also brought some rather special events:
- Glenmorangie dinner pairing with Master Distiller Bill Lumsden – how it SHOULD be done!
- Masterclass with Stuart Harvey featuring Balblair 03, Old Pulteney 12 year and Speyburn 10 year
- Whisky Ladies evening with Karen Grant, Global Marketing Director for InterBev Scottish brands
- A Secret Supper of rare malts featuring Auchentoshan ‘Pure Malt 40% (Eadie Cairns), Port Ellen 26 year (1982) 50%, Lagavulin 16 year 43% (White Horse) in tribute to Malt Maniac‘s 20 years!
Most popular whisky posts for the year were:
- Party Whisky – Amrut’s MaQintosh – I guess no one else has reviewed this??
- The Quandary of the KininVie 17 year – A quandary no more thanks to a sample!
- Glen Deveron 20 year – Infamous to us for being outclassed by a 3 year old Japanese whisky Chichibu ‘The Floor Malted’
- Mumbai Amrut and Jim Murray experience – Memorable but not for the reason they would want!
- Mystery Malt – Ichiro’s Malt Hou-oui – An exceptional blend of discontinued Japanese whiskies from Hanyu Distillery (12 & 20 year) and Kawasaki (30, 32 and 35 year)
For me what stood out was:
- Anything from independent bottler Gordon & MacPhail
- Most remarkable tasting experience? Glendronach 39 – 42 year 1972/2011, 1971/2011/2012/2013
- Discovered something distinctly different with Glann ar Mor‘s Kornog and keen to explore more…
- I’m not a massive fan of American whisky, so was surprised with the Westland Cask No 395 54.6%
- Worst single malt of the year? Hudson Single Malt Whiskey 46% (2014)
- Most memorable whisky? Super duper tough to chose! However I keep coming back to the stunning Lochside 1981 51.2%
And who is tuning into Whisky Lady? The top 10 countries by views are:
- No surprise that my adopted country India tops views by a wide margin!
- US come up next followed by UK, Canada & Singapore
- I wonder who my German friends are?
- For Australia, I suspect most views come from just two fabulous Tasmanian guys!
- Finishing up is France, Hong Kong / China and Japan…
I would also like to share a special ‘nod’ of thanks to fellow whisky bloggers for their comments and encouragement – particularly Malt Activist, Whisky Den, Whisky Waffle, Whiskyriffic (with extra thanks for the KininVie sample!), Whiskey and Whisky.
Any whiskies stand out for you? Anything you would like to see more of here on Whisky Lady? Ideas? Recommendations? I still consider myself a novice in the world of whisky and welcome words of wisdom from fellow whisky explorers!
Most important – wishing you a very Happy New Year – may you drink a quality dram over quantity!
For more 2015 highlights, check out WordPress 2015 Annual Report or delve into the details shared in Everyday Asia’s monthly Whisky Lady summaries: December delights, November novelties, October offerings, Sulty September, Awesome August, July journeys, June joy, May merriment, April adventures, March madness, February fun, January journal.
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: