That is… if you can find it…
This vintage cask no 1607 release from Karuizawa was bottled exclusively for La Maison du Whisky at a cask strength of 67.7%. It was distilled in December 1973 and bottled July 2013, making it 39 years old, with only 138 bottles taken from the ex-sherry cask. To call it ‘rare’ is a bit of an understatement!
Here is what we found:
- Colour – Deep rich burgandy
- Nose – Like a fine cognac, hint of orange zest, grape, sugary honey
- Palate – Fire, orange, chocolate
- Finish – Cigar pipe tobacco soaked in cognac
My tasting notes simply do not do justice…. it is hard to put into words something that just wraps you up in so many layers of richness… It was a bit overwhelming to sample such mature, complex and yet still eminently enjoyable drams. Age doesn’t necessarily mean quality, but in this case it does!
- Asama 46% (Karuizawa 1999+2000)
- Ichiro’s Malt Houou-uhi (Phoenix) 46.5%
- Yamazaki Sherry Cask 1998 61%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: