What do you get when you combine kick-ass brilliant women and interesting whiskies? An insanely good time!
Years ago, I was interviewed as a woman whisky drinker, with the implication that the fairer sex enjoying a good dram is something new. Let me be clear – it is not!
However at all the recent whisky ‘Master classes’ in Mumbai and Delhi, lead by Master Distillers hoping to capture the hearts and palates of the Indian market, just where were the other women whisky appreciators? Why was I a rarity rather than the norm?
Wake up gents! We do exist… we are a growing tribe globally… no less so in India… and you ignore us at your peril!
So, how did this particular ‘Whisky Ladies’ event come about?
It all started with an innocent query about whisky drinking habits… Which lead to a conversation about women whisky afficiandos… Which sparked an idea to bring together a few ladies for a fine evening!
As for our killer line up of whisky?? Oh baby!
- Compass Box’s Asyla – Love Compass Box blends and this delightful light number is like a joyous summer romp – fresh and flowery. A decidedly feminine start to the evening and a favourite of a few.
- Kilchoman Coull Point – A complete contrast from a newer Islay distillery with a little wild ocean spray… top pick of one discerning whisky aficionado!
- Nikka Yoichi 10 year – Then a jaunt to Japan for some mid–autumn cider after a wander through pine-filled British Columbia forests… Mmm….
- Caol Ila 12 year – Ahh…. where would we be without this good old faithful Islay? Many fans in the room welcomed back an old friend!
- Ledaig 1997/2013 46% – From the independent bottler Gordon & MacPhail, we closed our evening with a little trip to the Isle of Mull. Calmer seas, peat smoke, complexity with an enthusiastic conclusion – “It’s really, really, reeaaaallly yum!” This one caught favour with more than one female!
In fact, such are our ambitions there was talk of hatching plots to get Whisky Live (or something similar) back to India…
So gentlemen be warned. We are loud, proud whisky sipping women and we aren’t waiting around for an invitation. We’ll be making them!
Quote of the night from our host: “Please guys, let’s now just enjoy!!” Considering 3 bottles were emptied… we did indeed comply.
For a few amusing takes by some other Whisky Ladies… check out:
- Master of Malt – Breaking News: Women drink Whisky
- Elite Daily – 10 reasons why you should date a woman who drinks whisky
- Eater.com – Whiskey-Drinking women get stereotyped. What if men did too?
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: