One of the Compass Box whiskies I sampled recently at La Maison du Whisky in Singapore was the playful Compass Box Juveniles.
Here is what I found:
- Colour – Light straw
- Nose – Sweet, fruit with plums and pears, a touch of vanilla… after the first sip, takes on an even sweeter overripe fruit dimension
- Taste – A little spicy with cinnamon, cardamon and perhaps a little cumin, herbal with sage and thyme, delicate
- Finish – Light and sweet, doesn’t scamper off immediately but remains teasing
- Overall – Delightfully playful
This is a clear example where the marketing and whisky character are a perfect match. The green juvenile joker on the label is spot on with the whisky – joking, teasing, chortling its way around your palate. This is no mature robust serious complex dram, it is unabashedly effervescent and fun.
The original bottling was exclusively for the Juveniles Bistro a vins in Paris and I understand it had a stronger character yet still in keeping with a light convivial atmosphere. However its popularity lead to Compass Box creating a 20 year anniversary edition and now a limited retail version.
The one I sampled was bottled in September 2014, part of 1,806 bottles and contains whiskies sourced from Glen Elgin (apparently 15 year) and Clynelish (thought to be 9 year) distilleries, aged in American oak barrels.
We’ve so far enjoyed the following Compass Box :
- Asyla 40% – A beautiful woman – light, soft fruits and perfume delight
- Great King’s Cross Artist’s Blend & Glasgow Blend 43% – Two contrasting ends of a well crafted spectrum from citrus spice to smokey sweet
- Hedonism 43% – Unusual, lots of coconut oil and one you grow to love or simply cannot connect with… however clearly unforgettable
- Juveniles 46% – Uncomplicated, sprightly and playful
- Spice Tree 46% – Think roasted spices with zest à la chilli chocolate…
- The Peat Monster 46% – No hairy scary monster, it is rich peaty and surprisingly well-balanced
From time to time, you can also find other whisky related updates and activities on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN