February began in India – desultory summer-like days of sunshine in our country home, quick zip back to Mumbai before hoping back on a plane and train for a chilly overcast welcome back to Germany. A bit of snow, some rain and sunny days… lots of work and in a mere blink, the month was finished!
On the whisky side, I re-packed my 2018 Whisky Advent Calendar (That Boutique-y Whisky Company)…. confident there will be future opportunities when back in India – hopefully in July or December 2021!
Overcoming various logistical hurdles, I had an opportunity to ‘catch-up’ with a missed session, share with others a ‘repeat’ of an earlier session and continue our Euro-Indian sub-continent connect! There was also couple ‘teasers’ – chat with the folks behind The Belgian Owl and an Elements of Islay evening the I experienced vicariously through friends in Mumbai.
Our Diageo Flora & Fauna explorations started with a trio of:
- Teaninich 10 year 43% – A curious one… petrol? Hmm…
- Mannochmore 12 year 43% – Satisfying classic Speyside with character – our clear favourite!
- Strathmill 12 year 43% – Be a bit patient and don’t underestimate this one!
A bit of an Xmas hangover, I had a wee gift trio from vom Fass which featured:
- Mackmyra “Valbo” 42.5% – A clear favourite – delightful juicy fruit bubblegum in a glass! Refreshing and satisfying.
- Teeling Reserve Small Batch Sherry 16 year – Clear sherry stamp, best had in a quick sociable way…
- Mackmyra “Kungstorv” Peated 47% – Pine sweet peat and smoked hickory that grew sweeter the longer it lingered…
Our fabulous Whisky Ladies of Mumbai held a December session with a decidedly Peaty theme… Kindly samples were set aside and one quiet evening in Nurnberg, I
- Laphroaig Four Oak 40% – Rather enjoyable travel retail in a time of limited travel…
- High Coast Hav “Spiced Oak” 48% – another interesting offer from the Swedish distillery previously known as The Box
- Spirit of Hven “The Nose” 44.9% – a slightly peculiar Swedish dram, while not quite my thing… recommend adding water
Also in a ‘catch-up’ type mode, I shared with a couple gents in Mumbai the Arran vertical flight… with another session with our Euro ladies coming up!
The month’s tasting adventures closed with the 1st of two sessions exploring a mystery “C” trio… to be revealed next month! So stay tuned…
Curious to know more? Check out a few other ’round-up’ summaries:
And if you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
Additionally, there are the two ‘off-shoots’ with: