The folks at Mackmyra distillery clearly know what they are doing. There is a subtle yet notable fresh “Scandi” style that comes from their use of Juniper which we’ve started to look out for as a signature element.
Our fabulous tour and tasting guide – Ingemar – chose to split our tasting broadly between:
- A trio from their “Elegant” style aka without peat
- Then this “Smoky” trio with peat aka Rök
For the 2nd part, we explored the Smokey style through two “Macmyra Reserve” expressions (available only through purchasing a cask) and one standard expression:
- Macmyra Reserve Bourbon Rök 3.5 year Fatnr 7765 (2018-11-13) 50.3%
- Macmyra Reserve New Oloroso Rök Fatrn 38740 (2014-1010/2018-10-10) 57.3%
- Mackmyra Svensk Rök 46.1% WL (2021 distillery visit)
Here is what we discovered….
#4 – Smokey transition… restrained elegant sweet peat
Unlike the punchy peat of Islay, we’ve found Mackmyra’s Scandi peat much more restrained and nuanced. Our first foray into the “Smokey” side was a perfect example of this.
Macmyra Reserve Bourbon Rök 3.5 year Fatnr 7765 (2018-11-13) 50.3%
- Colour – Light bright straw
- Aroma – Mmm… leather, bacon, honey with a citrus twist, had a lovely clean sweet peat aroma with a hint of juniper, restrained and elegant
- Palate – Light sweet peat, very smooth and well balanced, easy drinking
- Finish – Delightful cinnamon, long and strong
What a treat! Lovely, uncomplicated… truly stellar. By far one of our favourites of the entire tasting – remarkable at a mere 3.5 years! Narry a drop of this one remained….
#5 – Smokey and Sweet
Switching gears from a restrained elegant peat, we jumped into a more robust peat and sherry combination.
And what did we think?
Macmyra Reserve New Oloroso Rök Fatrn 38740 (2014-1010/2018-10-10) 57.3%
- Colour – Copper
- Aroma – Butterscotch toast slathered with butter, malty then becomes faintly floral after some time, shifting into Christmas spices oops and then hickory sweet maple bacon
- Palate – Very dry, the most pronounced sweet spices – clove, cinnamon, nutmeg… marmite, oak and wood
- Finish – Very warm finish – which stays, and how!
- Water – At first, water mere cranks up the spice however didn’t add or reveal anything new… and then a light cinnamon spice with nutmeg and malt
The “Christmas-y” quality was even more pronounced with the New Oloroso Rok than its Elegant avatar.
#6 – Smokey juniper
Last was from their standard line – one we’ve had before many years ago! What do they have to say?
Svensk Rök (Swedish Smoke) is the only smoky single malt whisky made from Swedish ingredients only. In Sweden, we have used juniper to season our food for generations. Now you can enjoy the timeless flavour in a golden form. The aroma is slightly smoky and spicy, with a much smokier flavour and peaty juniper notes.
As for what we found?
Mackmyra Svensk Rök 46.1% WL (2021 distillery visit)
- Colour – Light gold
- Aroma – Juniper wood, sweet peat, tobacco, sour mash with an organic or agricultural quality which warmed to become even sweeter with vanilla notes
- Palate – Much lighter than expected, more of the tobacco leaf, more juniper smoke, lightly salted too
- Finish – Certainly there yet also not as much “oomph!” as we anticipated – quite dry, oaky with more herbs than juniper
As the only “core” expression tried, it was nice to check out what they had to say in their official tasting notes?
- Nose: Slightly smoky and spicy with aromas of peat, juniper and vanilla fudge.
- Taste: Smokier than the nose with smoky, peaty, juniper notes. Dry, oaky aromas found with light tobacco leaves and herbs. A slight saltiness with minerals, anise and green fruits.
- Aftertaste: Slightly dry and smoky with notes of oak, salt and herbs.
Not all official tasting notes “jibe” with our experience – in this case it did completely!
What we tried from Mackmyra’s Elegant Style:
- Macmyra Reserve Bourbon Förlagrad Cask 41155 (2018-10-29 to 2019-05-14) 55%
- Mackmyra Moments – Brukswhisky DLX Nr 659/1999 46.6%
- Macmyra Reserve Oloroso Elegant Cask 39502 (2016-11-22/ 2020-09-21) 49.6%
So there you have it! Four “Reserve” experiences, one limited edition and one core. Clearly catering to a local audience, it was no surprise that our cab driver on the way to the distillery – like many – have splurged with friends to buy a small cask after such a tasting!
As for other Mackmyra tasting experiences (nearly 20 and counting!)? You can find them here.
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN