Yet again we have returned to Sweden, compliments of our Swedish Whisky Lady’s summer trip to the land of her birth. She considered other options then settled on their entry level whisky.
Mackmyra Mack 40%
- Nose – Oranges, warm peaches in the sunshine, bubble gum, candy floss. Just a fabulous warm and inviting nose, some caramel custard too
- Palate – Initially came across as a bit flat, like apple juice, but keep sipping and you’ll enjoy the light spice and amiable character, quite satisfying
- Finish – Light restrained and quite tasty
Overall it reminded us of a summery county fair. Though most of us would have preferred a bit more “oomph!”, perhaps a bit higher than 40%.
Disappointing to learn they use caramel for colouring but it was quite accommodating and easy to drink.
Truth me told – it was the “hit” of the evening and we had to set it aside to keep it from being emptied completely!
Here’s what the chaps over at Master of Malt have to say:
- Nose: Vanilla, boiled sweets and soft orchard fruit. Pear drops and spicy caramel.
- Palate: Candies peels, vanilla fudge, hint of basil, stewed fruit.
- Finish: Sweet oak spices.
It was purchased in Sweden in August 2017 and opened in Mumbai May 2018.
Whisky Ladies Northern Lights:
- Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye 40%
- Flóki Single Malt 47%
- Mackmyra Mack 40% – This dram
Curious to try more Nordic whiskies? Check out the European whisky section with a selection of Swedish whiskies:
- Box Whisky The Festival 2015 54.5%
- Box Whisky Shareholders 2016 3 year 52%
- Mackmyra 3 Year Bachair Private Cask
- Mackmyra 3 Year Preludium 01 De Första Dropparna 55.6%
- Mackmyra 8 Year Dram Good Whisky
- Mackmyra Svensk Rok 46.1%
- Mackmyra Vinterdröm 46.1%
- Smögen Single Cask 7/2011 4 year old 57.3%
- Smögen Sherry Project 1:4 57.2%
- Spirit of Hven Tycho’s Star 41.8%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN