Box distillery, is located in Ådalen, in buildings that previously housed a power station and sawmill, previously used to make wooden boxes for England. Like Smögen, it was also founded in 2010 and was founded by two brothers – Per and Mats de Wahl.
Their focus is on using Swedish organically grown barley and their whisky takes advantage of the climate range with its range of hot summers and cold winters. As Hasse Nilsson shared in an interview with Dominick Roskrow in Connosr:
“One of our goals is to be the whisky friends’ and connoisseurs’ distillery. Whisky made by experts for experts is something different than whisky made to be ingredients in big brands blending.”
Box Whisky Shareholder 2016 3 year 52%
- Nose – Banana, organic sweet, lots of overripe fruits, some stewed fruits and spice, very fruit sweet…
- Palate – Pepper spice, subtle smoke, some ginger, a bit bitter, fruit, candied lime sweet
- Finish – Medium dry
- Water – Brought out a cologne like quality!
Overall quite minimalist in approach, very fruity on the nose and smoky spice on the palate with a dry finish.
As we read up about the whisky post tasting we were most amused to discover the wee kerfuffle over it originally being intended only for shareholders… then details being leaked so that anyone quick on the draw had access!
As for us? We felt indeed rather fortunate to be part of the rare coterie to try such a dram.
*** Whiskies courtesy of
For more information on Box whiskies, do read Thomas’ posts on Whisky Saga. Specifically:
- Nordic Whisky #94 – Box Whisky Shareholders 2016 2016-05-24
- Nordic Whisky #60 – Box Whisky The Festival 2015 2015-10-06
- Nordic Whisky #37 – Smögen 2011 4 YO Single Cask #7/2011 2015-04-28
- Nordic Whisky #74 – Smögen Sherry Project 1:4 2016-01-19
More Nordic whisky experiences coming soon!
- Smögen Single Cask 7/2011 4 year old 57.3%
- Smögen Sherry Project 1:4 57.2%
- Box Whisky The Festival 2015 54.5%
- Box Whisky Shareholders 2016, 3 year 52% (this post)
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: