1st up? The first drop (De Första Dropparna) brings together the first drops from their pilot distillery (1999-2002) and the first casks from their first real distillery – Mackmyra Bruk. It was released in March 2006 and the sample comes from our Nordic explorers collection, courtesy of Thomas at Whisky Saga.
Mackmyra Preludium:01 – De Första Dropparna, 3 year 55.6%
- Nose – First whisky harshness, the vanilla, berries, perfume, apples, cinnamon, soft fruits, caramel, apricot, a bit of wood
- Palate – A bit raw, alcohol. However the ‘hooch boom’ dashed off. While clearly young, it was sweet, raw wood, itchy nose
- Finish – Limited
While clearly young and on the brash side, it takes a certain panache to stand up and say “Here is where we started!” Given that we have enjoyed where they have gone since, it was indeed interesting to see where the journey began.
World best whisky? Nope.
Fantastic to see the early stages? Absolutely!
*** Whiskies courtesy of
- Nordic Whisky #76 – Mackmyra Preludium:01 – De första dropparna
- Nordic Whisky #105 – Mackmyra 2008 8 YO Dram Good Whisky No. 3
More Nordic whisky experiences coming soon!
- Mackmyra 8 year Dram Good Whisky (Sweden)
- Mackmyra Bachair 3 YO Private Cask (Sweden)
- Audny 4 year, Series 3 46% (Norway)
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: