With our next sample, our Nordic exploration shifted countries from Sweden to Norway.
Audny means ‘hope‘ and is produced by Det Norske Brenneri (‘The Norwegian Distillery’). They were the 1st private Norwegian distillery, opened in 2005 distilling different spirits and then, in 2012, launched their first single malt.
Audny Series 3, 4 year Single Cask 46%
- Nose – Neutral, organic, quite herbaceous, light whisp of smoke, hint of sherry, sweet stewed fruits
- Palate – This is a first for a whisky… we found bad perfume, flat sweet, like campari, we had expected more spice and pepper but… nope!
- Finish – Hmm…. wasn’t much of a finish
Spoiled by young yet interesting whiskies like Kilchoman, we will admit we hoped at 4 years there would be something more going on.
The nose had some promise but overall it simply didn’t come together.
However these are early days yet… perhaps the promise can be fulfilled in a more mature or different avatar.
*** Whiskies courtesy of
- Nordic Whisky #76 – Mackmyra Preludium:01 – De första dropparna
- Nordic Whisky #105 – Mackmyra 2008 8 YO Dram Good Whisky No. 3
- Nordic Whisky #50 – Audny Series 3, Single Cask 4 year 46%
A fascinating journey so far with our Nordic whisky experiences:
- Smögen Single Cask 7/2011 4 year old 57.3%
- Smögen Sherry Project 1:4 57.2%
- Box Whisky The Festival 2015 54.5%
- Shareholders 2016 52%
- Mackmyra Preludium:01 – De Första Dropparna, 3 year 55.6%
- Mackmyra 8 YO Dram Good Whisky 54.4%
- Mackmyra Bachair 3 YO Private Cask
- Audny Series 3 46% (this post)
With another four to go, our appetites for Nordic whiskies has indeed been whetted.
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: