We suspected in this case ‘private cask’ literally means it is indeed a private cask and not available on the open market. Lucky us!
Mackmyra 3 year “Bachair” Private Cask
- Nose – Varnish, smoked pine, sweet grass, peat like the embers of a dampened campfire. As it aired more, it became increasingly sweet, windy woods
- Palate – Smooth then opened into wildfire, outdoorsy, bit of warm alcohol burn
- Finish – Like it was reminded one “Still here mate!”
Very different than the other two… this had a very ‘back to nature’ kind of vibe. Distinct and quite unforgettable. Hence our curiosity to learn more…
I turned to our whisky benefactor ( actual private cask.this is indeed a real live
He shared that many Nordic Nordic distilleries will allow individuals or groups of individuals to purchase a cask of their choice (typically bourbon or sherry) and have it filled with their choice of new make (typically peated or unpeated), then one waits for a minimum of three years and decide when to bottle it.
And this particular one? It was purchased by friends of our whisky benefactor… who came up with the name ‘Bachair’ one late night. With a whisky like this, certainly can’t have come from listening to Bach’s Air in G string at the time??
*** Whiskies courtesy of
- Nordic Whisky #76 – Mackmyra Preludium:01 – De första dropparna
- Nordic Whisky #105 – Mackmyra 2008 8 YO Dram Good Whisky No. 3
Other Nordic whisky experiences include:
- Mackmyra Svensk Rok 46.1%
- Smögen Single Cask 7/2011 4 year old 57.3%
- Smögen Sherry Project 1:4 57.2%
- Spirit of Hven Tycho’s Star 41.8%
Other Nordic whiskies sampled together:
- Mackmyra Preludium 01 (Sweden)
- Mackmyra 8 YO Dram Good Whisky (Sweden)
- Mackmyra Bachair 3 YO Private Cask (Sweden) – This post
- Audny Series 3 (Norway)
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: