It can be a lot of fun playing around with a whisky theme. With the right combination, you can discover something different even in a familiar dram, or appreciate nuances in a spirit you may otherwise dismiss.
It was one of those kinds of sessions, held together by a distinctly “northern” theme. So while it it was swelteringly hot outdoors, we retreated to the cool ac of indoors and enjoyed our Northern Lights evening of:
- We began with Crown Royal’s Northern Harvest Rye from Gimli, Manitoba – an Icelandic community on the shores of Lake Winnipeg
- We continued our journey to Iceland with Flóki Young Malt
- And then went on a trip to Sweden with the Mackmyra Mack
- We closed with a return to Canada to accompany Icelandic chocolate with Shelter Point’s Barrel of Sunshine whisky liqueur
While none would be considered outstanding, yet each was unique and as a set, enabled us to appreciate their different dimensions.
Talk turned to affordability… these days in the quest for something special, prices can become daunting. This was a terrific reminder that in the right company, context and frame of mind, there is no need to spend a “bomb” to obtain something quite enjoyable.
Case in point, when we looked up prices discovered:
- Northern Harvest Rye $32
- Mack $42
- Flóki $52
From our perspective, these are all eminently affordable for quite affable drams.
What was even better was the tales of how each made it from their respective locales to Mumbai… details coming over the next few days!
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN