Our intrepid Whisky Lady host brought back from her trip to Iceland some remarkable images, memories and yes a malt too! She shared how she considered the Sheep Dung (smoked with Icelandic sheep poo) but settled on the Young Malt.
As we opened the bottle, she told us tales of her winter adventures in Iceland. With others chiming in with their experiences too. Stories swirled about a remarkable land of exceptional natural landscape, socializing in hot springs, quixotic nightlife, music and more…
Flóki Young Malt 47% 1st Impression
- Nose – Lots of hay, like being inside a granary, dusty, a bit yeasty, young, a little metallic, quite organic
- Palate – What a contrast! Cinnamon candy, a bit peculiar- not necessarily in a bad way just something very unfamiliar, a tough whisky with a hint of light leather from tannery, rubber
- Finish – Back to hay with a bit of spice, had an almost “flat” quality with cedar
At one point we joked that we’d stumbled inside a barnyard! It was quite rustic, unique and definitely different. We began to joke it was like wandering into a set of Game of Thrones.
There was no doubt it would be welcome after hiking in the glaciers! Very apt for Iceland.
Here is what the folks who create Flóki have to say:
100% Icelandic locally grown barley. Named after one of Icelands first explorers, Hrafna-Flóki (Flóki of the ravens).
Carefully distilled using our custom made distillation equipment to extract the full flavor of the barley and then matured in new wood american oak barrels.
Flóki is a complex and unique malt with a blend of characteristics you´d expect in Bourbon, Irish Whisky and Scottish Highland Whiskys.
Not sure I’d call it complex, but it is certainly unique and worth exploring for the novelty!
Whisky Ladies Northern Lights:
- Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye 40%
- Flóki Single Malt 47% – Previous sample part of a Nordic Explorer’s sample set
- Mackmyra Mack 40%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: