Over the past few months, a fellow whisky lady and I have slowly been working our way through a delightful dozen 20 ml bottles representing five Nordic countries and seven distilleries.
There were some highlights and lowlights and it was a fascinating tasting travel. For those who missed the individual posts, I thought I would share a short synopsis of our Nordic journey…
- Stauning Young Rye (2010/2011) Batch 5, 49.3% – Raw, very rye, sawdust then overripe melon
- Stauning Peated 4 year (2009/2013) 2nd Edition 55% – Minimalist peat, dash of sweat, pleasant finish
- Teerenpeli Kaski Distiller’s Choice 43% – Lovely! this 2nd brush with Teerenpeli didn’t disappoint… lighter on the peat and sweeter, it is a smooth silky delicious dram.
- Flóki Young Malt 1st Edition, Barrel 3, 47% – Not quite a whisky yet…
- Audny 4 year, series 3 46% – Quite herbaceous… nose had promise, the balance… err… not for us!
- Box Whisky The Festival 2015 54.5% – Understated with asks you to sit, sip and savour
- Box Whisky Shareholders 2016 3 year 52% – Lots of ripe fruits, smoky spice with a dry finish
- Mackmyra Preludium 01 De Första Dropparna, 3 year 55.6% – What a unique insight into an early Mackmyra
- Mackmyra 8 Year Dram Good Whisky – More subtle that the 1st drop, juniper, mineral and herbal
- Mackmyra Bachair 3 Year Private Cask – Smoke pine, sweet grass, smooth then opened into wildfire, quite distinctive
- Smögen Single Cask 7/2011 4 year 57.3% – Sweet caramel, nutty marzipan, smoked oak… Seriously wish I could have more of this one!
- Smögen Sherry Project 1:4 57.2% – Sooooo sweet on the nose, bitter on the palate with a dancing spice finish
*** Thank you again
Now… to fill these bottles back up and return the favour. What shall we chose for Thomas to try??
PS These are not the only Nordic whiskies we’ve sampled… Check out the Europe page.
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
It truly was my pleasure to send you these samples. We need to spread the word about all the wonderful, young, up-and-coming world whisky! And Nordic whiskies are especially dear to me. rest assured that I have a new batch of Nordic whiskies ready for you to sample 😉
We never would have had a chance to try such unique whiskies without your samples!! So THANK YOU!!! We would be delighted to explore more and also have a set of other whiskies to send your way… likely this summer. 🙂