Next up in our Nordic Explorer‘s session was a whisky from Finland.
My first introduction to Teerenpeli was their 10 year – a most enjoyable dram. So memorable in fact it was part of our top pics for the Ladies Choice evening for the BMC gentlemen. Alas we could only acquire one small 500ml bottle – not nearly enough for our combined evening – so it was not re-sampled.
Kaski is Teerenpeli’s nod to sherry whiskies… The name comes from the tradition of first slash and burn the ground to produce KASKI (swidden) which then enables the first phase of cultivation – a new beginning.
Teerenpeli Kaski Distiller’s Choice 43%
- Nose – Cinnamon spice, subtle, honey, nuts like pine nuts or blanched almonds, after an initial strength, there is a freshness that surfaces, then after some time a clear stamp of vanilla, apricot and beautifully rounded
- Palate – Lovely! Soft, smooth, yet with enough character to make it interesting with a cinnamon chaser
- Finish – A nice hint of smoke
My Nordic Whisky Lady sampling companion and I were both in our whisky ‘happy place’ – you know that comfy space where you simply want to sit back, relax and enjoy. Who cared about tasting notes and nuances – this was simply a fine dram. One of those whiskies you wish you had a bottle sitting around at home to sip companionably.
In short – two thumbs up!
The Kaski is approximately 6-7 years old, matured in sherry casks only.
Here is what the folks over at Teerenpeli have to say:
- Colour – Roasted brown sugar
- Nose – Notes of fruitiness and a light peat
- Palate – Smooth, grain-like and rich
- Spicy aftertaste combines raisin-like fruit cake
In our last whisky quartet from the Nordic drams, this was by far our favourite!
*** Whiskies courtesy of
For more information, do read Thomas’ posts on Whisky Saga. Specifically:
- Nordic Whisky #45 – Flóki – Icelandic Young Malt 1st Edition
- Teerenpeli Distillery
- Stauning Distillery
A fascinating journey so far with our Nordic whisky experiences:
- Smögen Single Cask 7/2011 4 year old 57.3%
- Smögen Sherry Project 1:4 57.2%
- Box Whisky The Festival 2015 54.5%
- Shareholders 2016 52%
- Mackmyra Preludium:01 – De Första Dropparna, 3 year 55.6%
- Mackmyra 8 YO Dram Good Whisky 54.4%
- Mackmyra Bachair 3 YO Private Cask
- Audny Series 3 4 year 46%
- Flóki Young Malt 1st Edition 47%
- Teerenpeli Kaski Distiller’s Choice 43% (this post)
With only two to go, our Nordic whisky adventures are nearing a close…
- Stauning Young Rye (2010/2011 – Oct 2012) 49.3% Batch 5
- Stauning Peated 4 year (2009/2013) 55% 2nd Edition
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: