We moved on to another Diageo distillery from Speyside – Strathmill. In keeping with our theme, this single malt is rarely found on its own and in this case was bottled by That Boutique-y Whisky Company.
Here is what we found…
Strathmill 21 Year (June 2018) 47.7% Batch 6, 401 bottles
- Nose – Fruity and was that a bit of sulfur? Sherry brightness, likeable, happy, sugary yet behind all that lightness was a sharpness too. Apricot and leather, woodsy with peach.
- Palate – Sugar water, then by the 2nd sip had much more personality, sweet, sharp, some oats and a bit nutty. Frankly we just liked it!
- Finish – Walnut butter, long and spicy then some more of the fruity peach, nectarine and powered chilli
Don’t be tempted to dismiss this whisky as a lightweight… As we continued to sip, it vacillated between cheerful and a deeper character…
We set it aside and revisited it together, contrasting and comparing with the others…Here we found the prominent notes that remained was a nice hazelnut and citrus quality.
And what do the folks over at That Boutique-y Whisky Company have to say?
Step back in time for a second and you might happen to see the Strathmill distillery, but it could very well be producing something completely different to tasty Speyside whisky – porridge! Yes, Strathmill used to be a porridge oats mill, but it was soon converted into a working whisky distillery, and the rest is history. Delicious history. Anyway, renowned thief Goldilocks clearly didn’t get the memo and she’s gone searching for her favourite breakfast treat in the Strathmill distillery. Somehow she found some leftover porridge oats and is now fortifying her breakfast with a particular classic brand of gin…
- Nose: Floral honey, lemon zest, grassy malt and biscuit dough.
- Palate: Sultana and raisin, followed by banana chips and chicory.
- Finish: Continued banana notes, now with a hint of red chilli.
Depending on where you acquire it (if still available), a 50 cl bottle would set you back approximately £90.
What other That Boutique-y Whisky Company samples did we try?
- Dailuaine 15 year (May 2018) 47.5% Batch 2
- Glenlossie 17 Year (May 2018) 48.4% Batch 3
- Fettercairn 21 Year (May 2018) 48.6% Batch 3
Want even more Whisky Lady posts? Follow this blog on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN