So there I was, one fine evening early 2021 in our wee country home outside of Mumbai… during these days of lockdown, being able to spend time in a calm place where you can freely walk about outdoors, even have dinner with a neighbour, is such a special treat.
To then discover your neighbour also enjoys whiskies… well… that’s another level! I brought a few drops from an Arran flight, and he shared a recent purchase – Laphroaig Four Oak.
Hmmm… peat? The evening was a nippy 20’c, the breeze fragrant… why not?
And I am so glad that I did! Even better, back in Europe I had a sample to enjoy – bringing a lovely memory of a special evening.
Laphroaig Four Oak 40%
- Nose – Smoky cinnamon, almond pastry, lightly fruity,
- Palate – Tasty cinnamon spice, more smoke, vanilla cream, silky smooth
- Finish – Sweet and long, tobacco leaf… even ashy
So…. what I like is that this is a kinder, gentler Laphroaig… young, fresh… silky smooth… not bad. Quite clear this was 40%… but works.
That evening in the country, as I kept sipping, I kept thinking how it had been such a long time since I enjoyed a cinnamon smokey spice.
And back in Nurnberg?
Even more enjoyable…
What more do we know about the Laphroaig Four Oak?
Four different casks are selected by hand; ex-bourbon barrels. Small quarter casks, virgin American oak barrels and larger European Oak hogshead. Four Oak is an extraordinary fusion of flavours including sandalwood, pine, fir and willow. It’s the big malt from the shores of the big ocean.
This complex combination creates a golden, creamy peat-smoked Islay malt with warm, toasted vanilla notes.
- Colour – Bright Gold.
- Nose – Aromas of peat smoke with stewed fruit and warm, toasted vanilla.
- Palate – Hints of sandalwood, pine, fir and willow, experience oak embers and seaweed with smooth buttercream.
- Finish – Salted liquorice and peaty.
Here’s what more our Whisky Lady shared in her evening of peaty persuasion :
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN