What did I find this time around?
Taiwan – Kavalan Concertmaster Port Finish 40%
- Nose – Sugar plums, dark dried fruits and berries, caramelized
- Palate – At first I found it quite light, then the flavours grew, taking on a a delightful spice with chewy prunes with a fullness one rarely finds at 40%
- Finish – Mmmm… the port really comes through on the finish
I’ve had a whole range of experiences with Kavalan in the past – including this expression. I still remember being disappointed with the bottle I brought back from Taiwan nearly 9 years ago! And yet now, particularly after the Suntory “Toki” and Hatozaki Blend, I found myself really enjoying it.
What does Kavalan have to say about Concertmaster, now that it is back on their website?
Using Portuguese ruby Port wine casks as the main flavour, Kavalan Concertmaster Port Cask Finish single malt whisky is first matured in specially selected American oak casks and then finished in port barriques. The ageing in barriques mellows the flavours and adds indefinable smoothness to the whisky. It is rich bodied with natural sweetness and complexity.
- Colour: Brownish red
- Flavour: Tropical fruitiness with honey, vanilla, coconut and candy floss.
- Palate: Rich bodied with natural sweetness and complexity.
- Tasting pairing: Kavalan Concertmaster Port Cask Finish pairs indulgently with chocolate, making it even more delicious.
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on: