There are times when only a sherry bomb will satisfy. After progressing from the Arran Sauternes to Amarone, we shifted gears to the cask strength “The Bodega” Sherry finish. Just looking at the colour, there was every indication this would be one serious dram!
So what did we think?
Arran “The Bodega” Sherry Cask 55.8%
- Colour – Deep burnt orange, almost a red copper
- Nose – Oh my! Sherry meets banoffee pie! Rich, dry fruits, drunken raisins, intense, salted caramel, roasted almonds, dark berries, dates, a hint of leather, fruity sweet and sour cherries with a pinch of salt
- Palate – Smooth! No burn even at 55.8% Proud and full-bodied, a complete sherry bomb, bursting with dark fruits and berries, a spark of spice, a swirl of dark chocolate and marmalade
- Finish – Long finish with a dash of salt joining the dark dry fruits, chased by sweet dry spices
- Water – Necessary? No. But a generous dollop opens up tames the aromas and transforms the palate into juicy ripe fruits – more plums than figs – delicious!
Well, well, well… There was absolutely no doubt this was matured in a Sherry cask. Too rich and robust for an ‘everyday’ dram, it had balance and charm. Fabulous!
What do the folks over at Lochranza have to say about The Bodega?
And with that, we continued our evening exploring Arran Cask Finishes:
Currently, The Arran Sherry Cask remains available for approx GBP 46 / EUR 48.
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on: