Oh the beautiful Arran Amarone Cask Finish… we fell in love with you back in September 2017 during a delightful Sunday sundowner… I had such fond memories I feared trying again and being disappointed.
Back in 2017, there was an announcement that the Amarone would be back soon…. it was… but then next it wasn’t, and currently, there is no update on if and when it will return… much like some of the other cask finishes like Sauternes.
However for that fine evening in early January 2022, here is what we thought of the Amarone…
Arran Amarone Cask Finish 50%
- Colour – A lovely bright pink rose blush
- Nose – Fresh and fruity! Raisins then red fruits… ripe raspberries and cream, sour plum and cherries… then shifted back to raspberries but this time Rogers raspberry cream soda! Then back to cherries again… and then the slightly tart cranberry…. back to raspberries… simply yum!
- Palate – Silky smooth… tempting and teasing like Turkish delight, fruit and berry sweet, slightly gingery with a touch of pink peppercorns
- Finish – Slightly spicy, rich, and satisfying
- Water – Does it need it? Nope! But if you feel like adding a wee splash… it greedily marries it with the whisky to become even fruitier
Did it stand up to my romanticized notion of this whisky? It did indeed… It is like a decadent dessert, yet not cloyingly sweet. A perfect balance of its different elements, harmonious from its intoxicating aromas to captivating taste which carries through in a lingering finish.
What do the folks at Lochranza distillery have to say about their “Out of Stock” Amarone finish?
- Nose – Cherry, turkish delight, chocolate
- Taste – Poached pears, touch of cranberry and honey
- Finish – Sweetness, Pears, Turkish Delight, Cherries, Dark chocolate
Would we agree? Yes indeed!
We explored this together with:
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on: