Sometimes a whisky is picked up not for marketing schpeels, glowing reviews or word of mouth enthusiasm… Sometimes a whisky is acquired for more whimsical reasons… like a nod to pure childhood sentiment. Yes Tin Tin comics and their Loch Lomond whisky.
This is exactly the motivation for adding the Loch Lomond Peat to an evening of Peat Unusual – all peated whiskies but ones that did not necessarily follow the standard peaty Islay style.
So what did we think?
Loch Lomond Peated 46%
- Nose – Honey sweet, organic, some caramel custard, floral grasses, tube roses and white flowers and more honey… after tasting there was even a hint of ginger… after sitting for much longer took on an almost sour mash quality
- Palate – Sweet ginger and a quality that was almost tequila like, some spice
- Finish – There but… quite shy
Overall this had us scratching our heads wondered where was the peat? Was there any peat? Wasn’t there supposed to be some peat?
Another joked it somehow reminded him of left-over pub tequila. Hmmm…
Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t bad it just wasn’t stellar either, just something to pass away some time, sipping while you engaged in activities… an easy accompaniment
And what do the folks over at Loch Lomond have to say?
Not much as you can’t even find this particular expression on their website!
However the TWE folks have this to say instead:
The peated release of Loch Lomond was launched in 2008 by popular demand. Home to a cooperage, malt distillery and a grain distillery (which produces the best selling Glen’s Vodka), Loch Lomond is a multi functioning site. This has notes of soft fruit and is hugely peated.
Um… hugely peated? That certainly wasn’t our impression.
We opened this bottle in November 2017 and I strongly suspect this was picked up at The Whisky Exchange where it can be purchased for approx £14. And at that price? You can afford to indulge in a bit of pure Tintin nostalgia.
Our “peat unusual” whiskies featured:
- Lowland – Alisa Bay 48.9%
- Island – Ledaig “Very Cloudy” Vintage 2008 40% (Signatory)
- Speyside – BenRiach 25 year “Authenticus” Peated 46%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: