While I may be on sampling opportunity No 5 (or is it 6) for this particular expression, it was the 1st time for the Whisky Ladies and in perfect keeping with our smokey theme.
Kilchoman Machir Bay 46%
- Colour – Bright straw
- Nose – A bit musty to start, but then what a fabulous peat, buttery, creamy, sharp spice, cinnamon, vanilla, jasmine? some fresh fruits then a delightful citrus peel
- Palate – Very smooth, loads of delicious spice! Well balanced, lightly salty, herbal, wood, pepper, cinnamon bark, nicely oily
- Finish – Gorgeous, long, tingly, lightly bitter, with a nice ashy smoke
Did we enjoy it? Absolutely yes!
As for what the Kilchoman folks have to say about Machir Bay:
- Nose – Lemon zest, vanilla and distinct coastal influence give way to floral intensity, juicy peaches, pears, and wafts of rich spices
- Palate – Bursts of tropical fruit and dried sultanas, warming smoke and waves of honey, malt, butterscotch and rich sweetness
- Finish – Sherry-soaked fruit, cracked black pepper and sea salt. Long-lasting with layers of citrus sweetness and maritime peat smoke
In terms of the cask, it predominantly relies on ex-Bourbon with approx 20% ex-Sherry.
Our Smokey Night with the Whisky Ladies also included:
Interested in catching more? Why not follow Whisky Lady on: