What did we think?
Kilchoman Loch Gorm 46%
- Nose – Mmmmmm…. lovely tobacco, sea salt, smoke, mixed with Christmas cheer, some orange twist, dried fruits and sweet spices
- Palate – Yum! Soft and buttery, chocolate, peat rolling around with a clear sherry dry richness
- Finish – Gorgeous peat
For many, this was proper peat and sweet dram – a full, robust and satisfying whisky.
More than anything else, this evening was a terrific reminder that tasting order and environment makes all the difference!
After the rather disappointing Bunnahabhain, this Loch Gorm was “Oh yeah!” The peat hit just the right note and the sweet was also quite welcome.
Whereas for the Bombay Malt and Cigar lads, we sampled this same whisky after a trio of unpeated sherry drams. And the one just before – the BenRiach – was particularly spectacular. So when we got to the Loch Gorm it was a bit of a shock to the palate.
And what do the Kilchoman folks have to say about Loch Gorm?
- Nose – Orange peel, cloves, caramel and mixed spice with waves of fruit cake and citrus.
- Palate – A beautiful balance of spicy richness, cooked fruits, chocolate with layers of brown sugar sweetness and earthy peat smoke
- Finish – Mouth-filling peat smoke, lasting tropical sweetness, toffee and rich dried fruit.
The biggest distinction here being 100% oloroso sherry cask matured… As the Kilchoman folks put it:
It is common for distilleries to use a variety of sherry producers but for our consistent quality and character, it is vital that we source them all from just one bodega. We select a combination of sherry butts and hogsheads from Jose Miguel Martin that provides two separate styles of maturation.
These ex-oloroso sherry casks impart a combination of heavy sherry notes, spicy dark chocolate, rich fruits and burnt sugar. This balances beautifully with the Kilchoman peat smoke and citrus fruits found within our farm crafted spirit.
For us, the results worked!
Our Smokey Night with the Whisky Ladies also included:
Interested in catching more? Why not follow Whisky Lady on: