Happy New Year!!! December was full of mischief in Mumbai, merriment in Munich and delightful New Year celebrations in Dubai.
- Glenglassaugh Port Wood Finish Peated 46% – Lightly peated with a terrific port influence
- Kilchoman Machir Bay 46% – Still a great peaty dram!
- Bunnahabhain Chuach-Mhona 50% – Despite the hype, not exactly peaty
- Kilchoman Loch Gorm 46% – Proof that peat and sherry can work, just better if part of a peaty night not a sherry night
Plus notes from an earlier Whisky Ladies session with:
- Compass Box Great King Street Glasgow Blend 46% – A delicious dram… coffee, woodsy, slightly nutty and sweet
Our other two groups took a break for the holiday season providing a chance to share a few tasting experiences from my November Singapore trip starting with Nector of the Daily Drams:
- Ben Nevis 21 year (19967/2017) 48.7% – Not my tipple but a good example of a Ben Nevis style
- Highland Park 24 year (1992/2016) 50% – Delightfully well-balanced and exactly why once upon a time this was a preferred distillery
- Springbank 23 year (1994/2017) 50.6% – What one would more aptly associate with the Longrow brand – peaty and pleasurable!
- The Anniversary Dram XO 45.4% – A rather successful effort to reconstruct an ‘old style’ Macallan
- Deanston 19 year (1999/2018) 51% – Fruit, spice and rather nice!
Then from Whisky Live Singapore with:
- Edradour‘s Vintage 2008 and an Edradour Ballechin 8 year
- Patrick Maguire of Sullivan’s Cove with Double Barrel and American Oak Single Cask
- And a South Pole Expedition with Ardgowan
Plus a sampling of various Gordon & MacPhail offerings with:
- Miltonduff 10 year (2008/2018) 43% – Delicious sherry influence, marmalade and more from the new Discovery range
- Inchgower 13 year (2005/2018) 55.1% – Coffee, kaya toast, hazelnuts – yum!
- Glenlivet 14 year (2003/2018) 56.5% – Fruity, light spice, eminently enjoyable
- Mannochmore 18 year (1999/2018) 46% – Overt sherry, oak, spice with a citrus twist
- Caol Ila 33 year (1989/2018) 52.8% – Smoked meats, toffee, tobacco, salted nuts and pastry – gorgeous balance
Plus tasting notes from our Bombay Malt & Cigar Sherry Expressions eve:
- Hyde #6 President’s Reserve 8 year single grain + 18 year single malt 46% – With an Olorosso sherry finish
- Paul John 7 Year (2009) Oloroso Sherry Cask Finish 57.4% – Paul John’s first foray into a rich Olorosso sherry matured dram – simply superb!
- BenRiach 12 year (2005/2018) Cask No 5052 59.3% – A singular single cask, steeped in sherry – a true class act!
- Kilchoman Loch Gorm (2016) 46% – Full sherry and peat
Curious to know more? Check out recent Whisky Lady’s monthly missives:
So why not follow Whisky Lady on: