November kicked off in the best possible way – a trip to Singapore and Whisky Live! It then carried on with a jaunt to Istanbul, Turkey for work and the balance all in Bombay.
Our original group had an evening of Sherry Expressions:
- Macallan Terra 42.8% – 1st fill American and European casks, “seasoned” with Sherry
- Glenmorangie The Tayne 43% – A Fino Amontillado Spanish Sherry “finish”
- Glen Deveron 20 year 40% – “Matured” in Sherry Oak
So too did our Bombay Malt & Cigar gents with slightly less traditional Sherry Expressions:
- Hyde #6 President’s Reserve 8 year single grain + 18 year single malt 46% – With an Olorosso sherry finish
- Paul John 7 Year (2009) Olorosso Sherry Cask Finish 57.4% – Paul John’s first foray into a rich Olorosso sherry matured dram – simply superb!
- BenRiach 12 year (14 Oct 2005/2018) Cask No 5052 59.3% – A singular single cask, steeped in sherry – a true class act!
- Kilchoman Loch Gorm (2016) 46% – Full sherry and peat
Whereas the Whisky Ladies chose to reach into our respective bars and pull out a bottle:
- Highland Sweet – Glenmorangie Dornoch 43% – A classic Glenmorangie with the barest whiff of smoke
- Highland Salt – Old Pulteney Dunnet Head 46% – Beautifully balanced fruit, sea salt, hint of spice and smoke
- Highland Peat – Ardmore Triple Wood Peated 46% – Smokey caramelized bananas
- Highland Hint – Compass Box Great King Street Glasgow Blend 43% – A delicious dram… coffee, woodsy, slightly nutty and sweet
November also brought a few “miscellaneous” posts from tastings gone by such as:
- The Vault Trio with Keshav Prakash at KODE
- Scottish grains recap
- Exploring experiments in barley, wheats and more!
- Sipsmith’s Sloe Gin Martini
Plus a catch up on tasting notes from the previous month…
Our Whisky Ladies Contributor’s Choice evening was a Sunday sundowner with:
- Ballentine’s 17 year Glentauchers 40% – A rather yummy fruity, nutty, butterscotch ice cream blend
- Glentauchers 20 year (That Boutique-y Whisky Company) – Hazelnut cream, generous butterscotch, caramel fudge, tart berries
- Balvenie 14 year Caribbean Cask 43% (via Taiwan) – Rum raisins, toffee with a dash of spice
- Talisker 18 year 45.8% – Seaside peat, maple bacon with a cinnamon chaser
And the last of our bourbon evening with:
- Cleveland Underground AP Bourbon Whiskey finished with Apple Wood, Batch 3, 45% opened into an Whiskey Sour
Curious to know more? Check out recent Whisky Lady’s monthly missives:
So why not follow Whisky Lady on: