In the main floor of Whisky Live 2018, it was such a treat to meet Patrick Maguire of Sullivan’s Cove.
While we sipped away, Patrick regaled us with their passion for the craft and preference for small and old fashioned approaches that may require patience yet produce results that cannot be rushed.
All the while, I quietly sniffed, swished and sampled two of their malts.
Double Barrel (12 Dec 2007/24 Jan 2018) Double Cask No DC098 Barrel No 45%
- Nose – A lovely fruit – particularly pear and apple
- Palate – Balanced texture
- Finish – Darker
Patrick shared it is a combination of French Oak and American casks – typically aged 10 – 18 years, sometimes using up to 6 different barrels to get the right balance.
After the Double Cask, we moved on to a single cask matured in American Oak – ex JD barrels to be precise.
American Oak Single Cask (9 Jun 2006/20 Aug 2018) Barrel No TD0108 47.5%
- Nose – Lovely ex-bourbon aromas, wood, vanilla, a whiff of forrest
- Palate – Some spice, wood
- Finish – Warm, long and strong
It was truly memorable to meet the man behind the malt… and one of the reasons to
You can find more experiences from Whisky Live 2018 Singapore here.
Don’t want to miss Whisky Lady posts? Follow this blog on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN