I’ve been ever so patiently waiting to sample this whisky… wanting just the right opportunity to share it with one of my Mumbai based whisky tasting groups.
Finally… nearly 2 years after I acquired this lovely bottle, it graced an evening of Sherry explorations…
What did we find?
- Nose – Starts quite nutty – specifically walnut, some balsa wood, toast then starts to shift into sweet dry fruits and spices with an inviting warm cinnamon, mince pie, dates, fresh figs, orange citrus, a delicious drizzle of honey or perhaps maple syrup?
- Palate – Full force and fabulous! There was a lovely spice, cherries, rich and full bodied while remaining nicely rounded. Some black pepper and cinnamon bark, complex and dry.
- Finish – Long, strong, sweet and sumptuous, even a little hint of licorice at the tail
- Water – Wow! Really opened it up… Much fruitier, dried apricot, still keeps the orange, rum raisins, even sweeter yet without losing the lovely “Ooomph!” and character…The nose then took on some vanilla, cream, think of a yummy egg nog with a generous dash of nutmeg
What a whisky! Even before the 1st sip, we already heard comments like “Beautiful!” and “Remarkable!”
No question this was cask strength. And equally no doubt this was one exceptional whisky. Full flavoured and quite fabulous, it really came into its optimal character with a splash of water.
To put it in desi terms – we were “maha” impressed! Even more so when the reveal was Indian, provoking much national pride. Bravo Paul John!
And what the folks at Paul John have to say?
A limited edition of the Indian single malt from the sunny Goan coasts, Oloroso presents an aromatic tapestry of complex yet gorgeously weighted fragrances, from toasted honeycomb to figs and a touch of dry raisin. Matured for 3 years in American bourbon barrels and finished in sherry casks for 4 years, its creamy flavours offer a delectable blend of barley with grape. The intense sherry richness towards the end, gives this rare whisky its name. The finish is long and luxuriously spiced, with a cocoa tinged vanilla. It is a wholesome Goan experience, packed into every sip.
- Nose – Complex and gorgeously weighted, Toasted honeycomb, dry resin, dates, figs and apricot, its almost an aromatic tapestry.
- Palate – Magnificent mix of barley and grape, sweet and creamy, intense richness of sherry in the end.
- Finish – Long and luxurious, with pulsing vanilla-cocoa mix and a build-up of spices.
- Colour – Dark Amber
- Pairing – This extremely complex whisky needs food that can complement it well. Tender, juicy steaks and blue cheese can help you unravel every nuance of this magnificent malt from Goa.
Paul John Whiskies:
- Bold Single Malt Batch #1 (2015) 46% & Batch #4 (2016) 46%
- Brilliance Single Malt 46%
- Classic Select Cask 55.2%
- Edited Single Malt 46%, 2nd bottle
- Peated Select Cask 55.5% & Peated Single Cask
Here are the whiskies explored in our Sherry Unusual evening:
- Hyde #6 President’s Reserve (May 2017) 46%
- BenRiach 12 year (14 Oct 2005/2018) Cask No 5052 59.3%
- Kilchoman Loch Gorm 2016 46%
Want even more Whisky Lady posts? Follow this blog on: