Last in our “Peat Unusual” evening was the beauty that inspired the evening in the 1st place! To recap, the goal was to sample peaty whiskies – other than Islay – that did not neatly follow conventional expectations of a Peaty dram.
Alas my notes from that evening were waylaid… however I had an opportunity to share a few remaining drops in another occasion… so what follows are those impressions.
BenRiach 25 year Authenticus Peated 46%
- Nose – An initial whiff of surfer that then disappeared. Sherry sweet, peat, medicinal, green apple like a Granny Smith, cranberry juice (the tart kind not cough syrupy sweet type), juicy tart, dried hay
- Palate – Lots going on, grassy and herbal, taste like tobacco, coriander seeds, light rancio, unmistakable peat yet equally rich and robust with other dimmensions too
- Finish – Whiff of smoke, fabulously long and lovely
Overall we found it to be a brilliant dram. Complex, nuanced, mature and having a sophistication few whiskies achieve.
To put it mildly, this whisky was in a completely different league than the others.
And what do the folks over at BenRiach have to say?
- Appearance: Bright, warm amber gold.
- Nose: Elegant aromas of ripe pineapple, fresh mountain herbs and a profusion of sweet peat. A huge pungent blast of peat smoke emerges, partnering the peated element perfectly. Full bodied and audacious.
- Palate: A fantastic fusion of rich peat and smouldering embers bound together by fresh herbs – oregano, aniseed and chicory in particular. A rush of sweet, wild honey provides a lovely contrast to this lively, intense expression.
- Conclusions: Terrific weight and development which leaves a powerful long lasting impression on the palate.
I know this whisky was picked up at The Whisky Exchange in 2016 where it can be purchased for approx 225. I was impatiently waiting for the appropriate occasion to try… what a wonderful evening of seated whiskies.
Our “peat unusual” whiskies featured:
- Lowland – Alisa Bay 48.9%
- Island – Ledaig “Very Cloudy” Vintage 2008 40% (Signatory)
- Highland – Loch Lomond Peated 46%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: