So here we are in February 2018… and I’m only now getting around to sharing observations from November 2017 Whisky Live Singapore…. Why the delay?
Because I found it really hard to put into words that after such a terrific experience at Whisky Live Singapore 2016, the 2017 edition simply wasn’t for me. Which seems exceedingly churlish to admit when the organizers were kind enough to extend a day pass.
However rather than dwell on disappointments, let me focus on the key benefit of attending any Whisky Live anywhere in the world – the whisky!
There definitely were highlights and I captured a few fleeting notes on my sniff, swish (and mostly spit) experiences… And before you gasp in dismay about not savouring and swallowing, I firmly adopt a “Survival Guide” approach to explore to the max and over-indulge to the min.
There is a price to such a “speed dating” method. Notes cannot be complete and lack in-depth insights. Instead, they are just quick surface impressions… like a teaser… merely giving a sense of what might come… if only…
So with that caveat in mind, welcome to explore Whisky Live Singapore 2017:
- Amrut with Kadhambam 50% and Porta Nova 62.1%
- AnCnoc 12 year 40%, 18 year 46%, 24 year 46% with Stuart Harvey
- Armorik from France with Breizh 42%, Classic 46%, Double Matured 46%
- Benromach with the 5 year 40%, Organic (2010/2016) 43%, Peat Smoke (2007/2016) 46%
- Compass Box with Enlightenment and Oak Cross
- Gordon & MacPhail with Balmenach (2008/2016) 46%, Linkwood 15 year, Ardmore 1997 45%
- Paul John introducing the zodiac series with Kanya 50%
- Sansibar with Glentauchers 8 year 48.2%, Spicily Sweet 48%, Smokey Peated 48%
- Signatory with Linkwood 8 year (2008/2016) 40%, Cambus 24 year (1991/2015) 51.9%
- Wolfburn trio with Hand Crafted, Aurora Sherry Oak, Morven Lightly Peated
Whisky Live Singapore’s Collector’s Room picks for 2017:
- Caol Ila 16 year (1969) 40%
- Yamazaki 12 year (1996/2009) 60% (Whisky Live Japan 10 year anniversary edition)
Tasting notes to follow in the coming months… so stay tuned!
And what did I walk away with? You may be surprised:
- Signatory Vintage’s Discontinued Distillery Grain
- Cambus Single Grain 24 year (1991/2015) Cask 55891 51.9%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: