Whisky Live’s Collector’s Room was such a terrific experience at the Singapore 2016 event. I couldn’t wait to see what treasures would be available to purchase a small dram…
However it was quite the scaled back version… no delightful fully separate “Collector’s Room“. Instead it was a simple bar area with a row of whiskies on offer. Those we considered started at SGD80 a glass… we decided to try two and share… it was not an easy decision.
My companion settled on:
Yamazaki 12 year (1996/2009) Cask No AX70012 Sherry Butt 60% (Whisky Live Japan 10 year anniversary edition)
- Nose – Sherry explosion… one even said headache inducing
- Palate – Almost overwhelming, woody, spice, all the dark fruits, black cherry, phenomenal
- Finish – What a fabulous finish!
- Water – Opens it up further, bringing balance
It was truly intense, dense, rich and almost on the edge of being too… everything! Remarkable, unforgettable and worth trying… once.
Caol Ila 16 year (1969) 40%
- Nose – Peat, sour, overripe fruit, a bit of varnish, old and musty, then these darker qualities dissipated to be replace instead by vanilla, bananas, an almost briney quality that then became quite sweet
- Palate – Spice, peat, sweet and much softer than anticipated from the nose
- Finish – Long peat, sweet and spicy finish
We remarked on how very different it was from the Caol Ila style of today.
It was last seen on auction for approx £510.00.
- Whisky Live Singapore 2017 – AnCnoc, Armorik, Amrut, Benromach, Compass Box, Gordon & MacPhail, Paul John, Sansibar, Wolfburn
- Whisky Live Singapore 2016 – Collector’s Room