Compass Box just does blends to a different standard. These are no run of the mill drams. Their quirky sometimes stunning packaging is as appealing as what is contained in the bottles too.
- Nose – Fruity, malty, cereals, bit of pepper, crisp fruits, teasing vanilla
- Palate – Sweet light spice that grows, bright, citrus
- Finish – There… with more spice
Overall it is exceedingly nice and eminently drinkable.
And what do the folks over at Compass Box have to say?
Inspired by the writers, philosophers and scientists of the Age of Enlightenment, this blend of fruity fragrant Highland Single Malt Scotch Whiskies is bursting with aromas of fresh orchard fruit, vanilla, soft spice and pear.
- Nose – Light oak, malty with a bit of fruit
- Palate – So smooth with a woody spice, clove
- Finish – More oomph than expected, warm and stays
In many ways Oak Cross is a great name for this whisky…. it has solid oak crossed with a nice spice. It absolutely works!
And the Compass Box folks insight?
We begin by sourcing whiskies from three single malt distilleries; one for its ethereal fruity character, one for its enchanting perfume and one that lends a complex and substantial structure to the blend.
All are aged in American oak casks before we place a portion into innovative hybrid casks featuring heavily toasted new French oak heads. These give the whisky an added richness and spice-like complexity. By carefully blending back the French oak-aged whisky with its American oak-aged forebear, we are able to create a refined, rich, but well-mannered malt whisky, with fruity aspects that will remind you of baked apple or pears, complemented by a rich, toasty oak character.
More Compass Box experiences:
- Asyla 40%
- Flaming Heart 15th Anniversary Limited Edition (July 2015) 48.9%
- Great King Street Artist’s Blend 43%, Glasgow Blend 43% + Experimental Batch (Sept 2013) 43%
- Hedonism 43% + Whisky Ladies 2017 revisit
- Juveniles 46%
- Spice Tree 46% + Extravaganza Special Edition (Aug 2016) 46%
- The Peat Monster 46% + Whisky Ladies 2017 revisit
You can also find whisky related updates and activities on: