At last! Our final Whisky Ladies Compass Box Quintet whisky of the evening!
We started with Spice Tree Extravaganza, then the lightly peated Great King Street Experimental Batch, shifted gears completely to the blended grain Hedonism before being bowled over by the majestic Flaming Heart!
No easy feat to follow, Peat Monster boldly entered the fray!
- Nose – “Did I just singe my eyelashes?” Punchy, pepper, much spicer than the Flaming Heart, malty sweet embers, coffee
- Palate – Sweet, campfires burning, spicy yet not harsh, smoky, malty, lightly fruity
- Finish – Smoky embers, cinnamon sweet spice
- Water – This was the 1st dram of the night where a few drops of water really helped open it up, dampening the fires, bringing out a wider range in the spice elements, black liquorice, basil and more… a kaleidoscope of flavours to the back of the mouth and throat
After the gorgeous complexity of Flaming Heart, Peat Monster was a return to a dramatic dram that gets right to the point. Nothing fundamentally wrong with that – in fact at times that is exactly what you are in the mood for! No nonsense, this is what it is and enjoy!
For some, previous memories of Peat Monster was of a well-balanced, rich peaty dram that didn’t demand a single drop of water. Yet this one did. With a few drops transforming it, achieving the accessibility and drinkability we remembered. Interesting…
Here’s what the folks at Compass Box have to say:
You will find a spectrum of seaside and medicinal peatiness, along with kipper-like smokiness, all surrounding a core of fruity malt whisky character. THE PEAT MONSTER is a whisky for those who love intensity, flavour and freshness, balance and drinkability. A whisky for those who appreciate the blending of seemingly dissonant elements to create something sublime.
For the whisky geeks, I’ve included Compass Box’s info graphic, outlining the break-up between Laphroaig, Ledaig, Caol Ila, Ardmore with a 1% dash of Highland malt (Clynelish, Teaninich, Duilaine) with a warning that with each batch variation will occur.
Our Compass Box evening included:
- Spice Tree Extravaganza Special Edition 46%
- Great King Street Experimental Batch 43%
- Hedonism 43%
- Flaming Heart 15th Anniversary Edition 48.9%
Psst… this wasn’t my first brush with Peat Monster… you can read more about my earlier experience here.
This whisky was purchased by one of our Whisky Ladies and sampled from an unopened bottle in July 2017. It is also available in India through The Vault Fine Spirits.
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: