This was an evening much awaited! Planned back in early 2016 initially for January 2017 then postponed to May 2017… To say I was rather impatient waiting for this session is a bit of an understatement!
Now normally, we prefer to keep our sampling to 3 whiskies… however the idea of sampling two unpeated, two peated and two super turbo peated from the same distillery was impossible to resist! Particularly if that distillery happened to be Bruichladdich.
Our Whisky Ladies are made of sterner stuff and have proven we are up to the challenge! Hence the ‘birth’ of the Bruichladdich “Peat Progression” evening…
- No Peat – The Classic Laddie 50% (Whisky Ladies only)
- No Peat – The Laddie Eight 50% (Original group only)
- No Peat – Bere Barley 2008 50% (Whisky Ladies only)
- Heavy Peat – Port Charlotte 2007 CC:01 8 years 57.8%
- Heavy Peat – Port Charlotte 12 Oileanach Furachail 58.7%
- Insanely Heavy Peat – Octomore 07.2 5 years 208 PPM 58.5%
- Insanely Heavy Peat – Octomore 07.1 5 years 208 PPM 59.5% (Whisky Ladies bonus)
As all but the Classic Laddie and Octomore 7.1 were my bottles, I decided to share with our original underground group too – just to contrast and compare what the Whisky Ladies thought vs another Mumbai malt club!
Which meant the Whisky Ladies experience was with freshly opened bottles (except the 7.1) whereas the original club’s sampling was from open bottles (except The Laddie Eight) – which does change the whisky as it starts to oxidate even with a ‘vacu-vin’ trick to slow down the process.
Added to the mix was a follow-up tasting with two Whisky Ladies who could not make it to the main event but were not willing to be left behind our whisky adventures!
Read on over the coming days as it will tell you as much about the whisky tasting sessions as it will about the whisky itself!!
Other Bruichladdich’s sampled previously include:
- “Royal Wedding H.R.H. Prince Charles” 15 year (1965) 52%
- Black Arts 4.1 49.2%
- Octomore 5_169 59.5%
- The Organic Scottish Barley 50%
- PC Scottish Barley 50%
- Rocks 46%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: