For over a year, I waited impatiently to dive into this Bruichladdich Micro-Provenance aka MP5 trio!
I came across the set in Singapore at The Single Cask. taking a good long whiff of their open bottles and was intrigued. I kept thinking about them… and on my next visit, I was delighted they still had a closed set remaining. So I packed it up and brought it back to Mumbai for our merry malters!
I decided to do it in the same order Adam and Allan did on their YouTube broadcast… so we began with the ex-bourbon. While I knew what we were sampling, my fellow whisky explorers tried it blind.
Port Charlotte MP5 10 year (2005/2016) Fresh Bourbon Cask #1999 56.9%
- Colour – Bright straw
- Nose – Bounty chocolate with roasted coconut, tropical fruits – particularly pineapple, cashew fruit when nearly ripe, subtle peat, ripe bananas, dates, lightly leather and wood polish, faint iodine then evolved into a fresh clean delicate citrus
- Palate – Spicy cinnamon, jute kopra, coconut barfi, lightly oily, a wonderful mouth feel, coffee, coconut shell
- Finish – Medium length, a bit bitter, chillies, coconut
- Water – Opened up beautifully, lovely balance of spice then sweet, delicious with a gentle orange citrus
We loved it! It began as a pure tropical treat and evolved into creme brule, bubblegum… We really enjoyed this whisky And found it was a fabulous easy drinking dram. It had a lovely balance, very tasty, becoming even more enjoyable as it opened further with water and had a little more time sitting in the glass.
Remarkably, there was very little peat – just a light leather curl of smoke enveloped in creamy sweet goodness. Equally no one came even close to predicting the alcohol strength – there was talk of 46% or 48% with no one imagining 56.9%!
I challenged my tasting cohorts to give their best guesses on what cask(s) went into creating this dram. After the Cognac surprise, speculation ranged from rum to virgin oak to bourbon… with the last spot on!
What more do we know?
- PPM: 40
- Barley type: Optic
- Distilled: 17.11.2005
- Bottled: 2016 – Aged 10 years
- Cask Type: Fresh Bourbon
- Warehouse: P2. R19 – Dunnage
We loved this whisky and wished there was more! By the end of the evening there were just a few drops remaining… clearly a good sign.
- Port Charlotte MP5 10 year (2005/2016) Fresh Bourbon Cask #1999 56.9%
- Port Charlotte MP5 10 year (2005/2016) Bourbon / Bordeaux Cask #0013 59.9%
- Port Charlotte MP5 10 year (2005/2016) Virgin Oak Cask #0005 63.5%