After St Kilian’s inaugural “One“, and their Franconian “Six” we shifted gears to explore their “smoky” Fourth Signature Edition.
St Kilian describes their whisky as:
Surprisingly intense, spicy and smoky: With a phenol content of 54 ppm in the malt, the “Four” is not only the smokiest one to date, but also the most aromatic and strongest bottling of St. Kilian thanks to its full maturation in sherry casks.
What did we think?
St Kilian Signature Edition ‘Four’ (2016/2020) 48% 10,700 bottles
- Colour – Dark gold
- Nose – Sweet smokey meats, Nordic wood sauna, jerk pork, honey glazed ham, smokey marinade, pine, herbal, cigar tobacco, fudge and chocolate, hint of coffee, dark caramel, even better the 1st sip
- Palate – Savoury, a bit sharp, peat and sweet, initially imbalanced, a bit bitter, charred wood…
- Finish – A nice fat finish, thick with flavours – smoke and sweet, long peat….
We found with all three, that water is a great addition – in this case an absolutely must!
- Nose – Mmmm sherry, maple bacon, cinnamon, buttery salted caramel, malted milk chocolate
- Palate – Tempers the peat, took out all the sharpness, completely balanced the elements so could setting into its smokey sweetness
- Finish – The flavours remain – dilution didn’t dampen the full finish
Could absolutely see the Sherry cask influence on this one. If you are in the mood for a full-bodied whisky with a smokey sweetness, well worth checking out. With each sip, it grows on you more and more.
What more do we know? Well the good folks at St Kilian are open about their recipe:
- 51% ex PX Sherry
- 49% ex Olorosso Sherry
- Mix of German unpeated early with Scottish peated barley (54 PPM) from Glenesk Maltings
As for their official tasting notes?
- GERUCH Kräftiger, warmer Lagerfeuer-Rauch lichtet sich für fruchtige Sherry-Aromen mit süßen Rosinen, cremigem Butterkaramell-Fudge, frischem Apfel und feinen Anklängen von würzigem Tabak und Leder
- GESCHMACK Vollmundig-intensiv mit aromatischem Torfrauch, begleitet von einer Melange aus getrockneten Pflaumen, Datteln und Rosinen, abgerundet von einem Hauch Vanille und dunkler Schokolade mit Fleur de Sel
- NACHKLANG Lang und würzig-warm mit feinen Sherry-Noten und sanft ausklingendem Rauch
With a rough translation:
- Nose – Strong, warm campfire smoke clears for fruity sherry flavours with sweet raisins, creamy butter caramel fudge, fresh apples with hints of spicy tobacco and leather
- Taste – Full-bodied and intense with aromatic peat smoke, accompanied by a melange of dried plus, dates and raisins rounded off by a hint of vanilla and dark chocolate with sea salt
- Finish – Long and spicy warm with fine notes of sherry and fading smoke
What else was included in my wee St Kilian quartet?
- Signature Edition ‘One’ (2016/2019) 45% with 37% ex Bourbon, 37% ex Martinique Rum, 18% ex PX Sherry, 5% Chestnut, 3% ex-Bourbon quarter cask
- Signature Edition ‘Six’ (2016/2020) 47.5% with 45% Rye, 30% late Burgandy, 25% ex Bourbon
- Signature Edition ‘Seven’ (2017/2021) 51.7% with 73% ex Sherry Olorosso and 27% ex Sherry PX
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on: