After a promising start with St Kilian’s 1st Signature Edition – One – we fast forwarded to their 6th Edition with a strong “Franconian” bent:
The Signature Edition Six is a real Franconian! The special barley malt comes from Upper Franconia and the barrels of fine Pinot Noir from Lower Franconia.
Signature Edition ‘Six’ (2016/2020) 47.5% 6,500 bottles
- Colour – Dark gold
- Nose – Cherries, grapes, an almost rye-like spice, licorice, after time it was a bit malty, fresh grass and hay, tobacco leaf, apples
- Palate – Sour cherry, lots of spice, bitter and dry, strong red wine elements – dates, raisins, woody grain….
- Finish – Spicy with sherry sweet Christmas spices – very dry and long
- Water – Oh nice! Much fruitier, juicier, softer with the grapes and cherries coming back both in the aroma and palate, a nice tannin came out and the finish was even better too – long and warming
We found both with the One and this, that water really made the malt! It started a bit acrid without but really came together with water.
While certainly not a ‘classic’ style, it had an interesting character – could certainly see the Rye and also Pinot cask influence on this one.
We also thought it might go well in an Old Fashioned – something to try one of these days!
This one was a bit of a departure shifting from malt whisky into rye with a recipe of:
- 45% ex Rye (American Oak from Early Times)
- 30% ex Franconian Pinot Noir (French Oak from Fürst winery in nearby Bürgstadt)
- 25% ex Bourbon (American Oak from Old Forester)
As for their official tasting notes? Here’s what the folks over at St Kilian have to say:
- GERUCH Feine Gerbsäure, reife Trauben
- GESCHMACK Im Antritt eine feine Süße gefolgt von Weinaromen sowie Aromen von Getreide
- NACHKLANG Feine Würze, süß, trocken und langanhaltend
With a rough translation:
- Nose – Fine tannic acid, ripe grapes
- Taste – In the beginning a fine sweetness followed by wine aromas and grain
- Finish – Fine flavour, sweet, dry and long-lasting
I found a bit more about this expression from Whisky.com.
What more did we try from St Kilian?
- Signature Edition ‘One’ (2016/2019) 45% with 37% ex Bourbon, 37% ex Martinique Rum, 18% ex PX Sherry, 5% Chestnut, 3% ex-Bourbon quarter cask
- Signature Edition ‘Four’ (2016/2020) 48% with 51% ex PX Sherry and 49% ex Olorosso Sherry, peated to 54 PPM
- Signature Edition ‘Seven’ (2017/2021) 51.75% with 73% ex Sherry Olorosso and 27% ex Sherry PX
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN