And we are off to the races!
Tyrconnell was once the Cooley (now Kilbeggan) distillery‘s flagship whisky. Once an independent Irish distillery, the label celebrates the Wyatt family champion ‘Tyrconnell’ racehorse – best known for winning in 1876 at odds of 100 to 1 the Irish “The National Produce Stakes.”
The Tyrconnell 10 year Madeira Cask won the Irish Whiskey of the Year in Jim Murray`s Whisky Bible 2008.
So… I was both intrigued and delighted when a friend from the UK included this in my ‘Irish whiskies’ shipment on her trip to India last year.
And what did we find?
Tyrconnell 10 year Madeira Cask 46%
- Colour – Light gold
- Nose – Tamarind, fruit and flowers, copper, sour dough, chikoo, a sense of being a bit ‘young’
- Taste – An initial sharp nip then spice, coconut, leather, pronounced exceedingly ‘nice’
- Finish – Alas nothing spectacular… a hint of light leather and mild fruit, while it doesn’t dash off instantly, it does not have the long linger some reviewers boast!
- Add water? – Don’t… does nothing to improve and with such a light whisky not needed at all
In our blind tasting session, we speculated that while clearly young, it showed ‘nice’ promise.
In my recent revisit, it re-inforced the impression of a light pleasant whiskey. The mood is that of a gentle cantor in a ladies saddle rather than a fast and furious dash to the finish line.
While certainly enjoyable, it doesn’t have that extra distinctive and complex character that I find most attractive.
And I’ve come to learn the 10 year has been discontinued and newer offerings are now are either a standard NAS Single Malt or 15 not 10 years… perhaps an older incarnation of the Tyrconnell will gain those additional elements that can transform a whisky from merely ‘nice’ into ‘oooh baby!’
Special ‘nod’ to a fab lass who was our delightful ‘mule’!
What others are saying:
Other Irish whiskies sampled til date:
- Bushmills 1975 49.1%
- Greenore Single Grain 18 years 46%
- Green Spot NAS 40%
- Jameson Evening – 10, 12, Gold Reserve and 18 year
- Redbreast 12 year Cask Strength 57.7%
- Teeling NAS 46%
- Tullamore D.E.W. Phoenix 55%
- Tyrconnell Single Malt 40%
- Tyrconnell 10 year Madeira Cask 46%
- Yellow Spot 12 years 46%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: